S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

I have a maytag dryer that will not start Model MED 6200AYQ

I have a maytag dryer that will not start
Model MED 6200AYQ Serial 40459751ZS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

this is most likely a bad motor. you can test this to check it for sure. this will require two people. set the timer to the cycle. open the door and with one hand hold the door switch in. with the other hand turn the drum while the second person pushes the start button. turn the drum in a clock wise direction., the dryer should then start. this will mean that the start windings are bad and the motor needs to be replaced. the part can be found at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price. here is the part number and price.

S.E.Thomas :

i can also give you the instructions to change this part if you wish. let me know what you would like to do.

Customer :

I will try it.

Customer :

it was not easy to turn and could only get one revolution but did not start

Customer :

It was not easy to get more than half a revolution when truning but it did not start

S.E.Thomas :

the first thing to check at this point then is to see if something got into the blower

S.E.Thomas :

are you still there?

S.E.Thomas :

you need a philips head screw driver ad a 5/16 socket.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know when you can do this and i will walk you through the disassemble.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
i switch to Q&A as the chat is not working correctly. are you available to check the blower housing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I figured I lost you. I will give it a try
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got a philipis head screw driver
remove the screws around the door opening
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Purchesed at appliance & kitchen center new orleans dr Hilton head sc(NNN) NNN-NNNN
did you remove the 4 screws?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not get my dryer started. I will call where it was purchase and have them recommend a service area. I will accept your effort thanks call If you like(NNN) NNN-NNNN