Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

Hi, my insinkerator 1100 hot water dispenser is leaking water

Hi, my insinkerator 1100 hot water dispenser is leaking water from the tank. It is about 2 years old, but I don't have the receipt to get the tank replaced. It was wicked expensive to last only 2 years. Is there a fix, or do I probably need to replace the tank? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
I really doubt it's actually the tank itself. Wipe it down good and watch it close and watch for the first drip to appear. This will help you pin point the leak.
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took the tank out of the sink cabinet and looked at it. It appears like the water may be coming from the ferule connector. I pushed down on the sleave and pulled out the tubing, and it was wet around it. Is it possible to replace the connection, or should I just plug it back in and hope for the best. It's a huge mess when it leaks
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
No, you need to tighten this connector down tight and try it again. This is what I suspected was a loose connector. Snug it down good and watch it. That may be all it needs! That would be nice!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do I tighten it? It's one of those quick connect jobs, that you just push the tubing into.
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
There should still be a 'nut' type fitting that you can use a wrench on isn't there? If no fitting to tighten then I would replace it with a new one,
Does it look like this?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not exactly. It has a sleeve that slips up to unfasten the tubing. You just push strait down on the tubing and it slips into the fitting and is held securely by the sleeve. I don't see anything that looks like a nut type fitting to tighten.
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
I would replace the fitting. You can go to a hardware store, maybe take the fitting with you and match it up and replace it. You know it's leaking anyway and you need to replace it if pushing it on all the way has not stopped the leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will the fitting just twist out of the tank? It seems seriously tight. I don't want to damage the tank.
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
It's probably 'threaded' into the tank turn it CCW to remove it...is this the fitting?

Register Here

Edited by Craig on 10/24/2010 at 10:00 PM EST
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Did you see that illustration? look above....last post
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I twisted the fitting out, but it's not made to come out. It has a stem that goes down into the tank, and the fitting isn't threaded, it appears to have been glued on. I think I just ruined the tank
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
That's why I asked you if you had the connector I showed above. This is shown in the manual.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I read it, then went to the kitchen to work on it, there wasn't a "does it look like this" to your reply
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that there was a delay in the post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's ok, I think I ruined it, but it wasn't usable the way it was anyway. I contacted insinkerator to see if there is anything short of replacing the unit to be done. I think this is a pretty poor design, the leaking fitting can't be replaced. Thanks for your help anyway.
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I agree, it was leaking anyway. Can't they sell a replacement fitting for the tank? Best of luck with this.