J1204
J1204, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  5 Years servicing major home appliances, specializing in washers and dryers. 7+ years diagnosing electrical circuits
52580232

I have a Whirlpool WTW57ESVW1 auto load sensing washer...when

I have a Whirlpool WTW57ESVW1 auto load sensing washer...when I attempt to start the wash cycle, the washer immediately starts to agitate with some water spray, instead of filling and then moving to the agitation phase. What could be causing the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  J1204 replied 3 years ago.

J1204 :

Hi my names Josh and I'll be glad to help you

Customer :

ok Josh

J1204 :

Ive run into this problem quite a few times, the problem is actually the load sense switch, thats the switch that senses the load and the water level

Customer :

Where do I find that switcha nd how do I fix it

Customer :

on the washingmaching that is

J1204 :

The switch is behind the control panel, its a square switch that has a wiring connector and a clear hose running into it, its very simple to replace, just unhook the old one, it will twist and pop out, and just pop the new one in, unfortunately there is no way to repair the swith it as to be replaced

Customer :

Do you have nay sort of diagram that I can refer to as I have not replaced one in the past

J1204 :

Give me one minute I'll see what I can find for you

Customer :

thanks

J1204 :

The clearest diagram i can find is on searspartsdirect.com, just put in your model number and you can see a diagram of the control panel that shows where the switch is, They also have an image of what the switch looks like, or type your model number into google and you can see images of diagrams and the switch as well

J1204 :

On each side in the front of the panel, down on the bottom of the control panel where it meets the top of the cabinet, on both sides where the plactic endcaps are, there are spring clips, if you use a putty knife(what I normally use) or somethig else flat, insert it at the very ends in the front to release the clips on each side, then the whole consol will just flip up, from there youll see the switch, then its just a matter of replacing it

J1204 :

Sorry, I tried to give you the direct links for the pages you needed, but fo some reason my computers not cooperating here today

Customer :

No worries - I am looking at searspartsdirect.com now

Customer :

one final question - as I look at the diagrams from searspartsdirect.com, I am not finding anyting labled as a load sensing switch. On the controls and rear panel diagram, part 38 is labled as a switch sensor - is that the part you are referring to?

J1204 :

Yeah that would be it, replace that and youll be good to go

J1204 :

The problem is that switch is telling the timer that it has enough water in to start the wash cycle, even though there isnt any water in the machine yet

J1204, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 5 Years servicing major home appliances, specializing in washers and dryers. 7+ years diagnosing electrical circuits