S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

I am converting a natural gas Frigidaire Affinity dryer to

I am converting a natural gas Frigidaire Affinity dryer to a propane model with a conversion kit. The original natural gas burner was an "ice cream scoop" style that had an alignment collar attached. In the conversion kit instructions, it doesn't say to connect the alignment collar to the burner. It only says to use the alignment collar with a flame "spreade" type burner. That doesn't make sense to me because the original burner had the alignment collar attached and I believe there would be too much air flow without it. Does it need the alignment collar or not?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

propane needs a lot more air than natural gas so this is most likely correct.

S.E.Thomas :

on all other unit you open the air shutter all the way to allow more air so if it says to remove it that would make sense.

Customer :

It does say to open the air shutter all the way for either style of burner.

Customer :

Also it says to install the alignment collar for conversion to LP in a dryer with a "flame spreader" type burner.

S.E.Thomas :

the flame spreader is the ice cream scoop looking part

S.E.Thomas :

does it tell you to remove that?

Customer :

It does say to remove it and the natural gas burner was ice cream scoop style and the one in the conversion kit was identical. But the directions describe the burners separately, ie....ice cream scoop style or flame spreader style.

S.E.Thomas :

you should have to change the orifice and the cap on the regulator and open the air shutter. let me look up your model number

Customer :

Yep, I did change the orifice and also the leak limiter and the LP blocking pin.

Customer :

Sorry, correction. I removed the leak limiter and inserted the LP blocking pin.

S.E.Thomas :

that is usually all you need to do.

S.E.Thomas :

one min

S.E.Thomas :

found it. it appears that the new one for lp is a little longer. is that the case?

Customer :

I'd have to go downstairs and check.....

S.E.Thomas :

is this the kit you have?

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | FRIGIDAIRE Lp Conversion Kit, part number: AP3572301
Full Size Image

Customer :

Yes, it's the kit. The new burner is installed and I would have to take the front off, etc. The kit # XXXXX XXXXX

S.E.Thomas :

ok if you changed it and installed this you should be fine

Customer :

But that still doesn't answer the original question....does the burner I replaced require the alignment collar?

S.E.Thomas :

no it should not from what the kit is telling us. have you run the unit yet? you will know if it is too much air. it will sound like a jet.

S.E.Thomas :

this is a new style and they are slowly changing them all to this. i dont know why they cant leave well enough alone. this used to be a simple process. you never had to change all that.

S.E.Thomas :

i am guessing they are saying that it needs that much more air flow. to me it does not make sense either but i read the same thing you did.

Customer :

I haven't run it yet, needed to re-do the vent piping, so will hook it up tomorrow. OK, I will leave it off.

S.E.Thomas :

ok let me know what happens after you get it together.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
did you get the vent fixed and run the dryer?