Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a frigidaire dryer no power at all does nothing. tested

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire dryer no power at all does nothing. tested outlet is reading fine. when I test connections at dryer one side of hot reads 40v the other reads 200v. Tested the whip seemed fine, bought a new one just in case and that didnt fix anything. ??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You are having an issue with your power supply from your house. There should be 120 VAC across the middle to each outer leg, and 240VAC between the 2 outer legs at the cord. You have an issue with your power. Turn the breaker off and inspect the outlet for burnt or loose wires.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I said the power at the outlet was fine, but the when hooked up to the dryer the ends of the whip tested at 200 and 40 instead of 120 and 120. If I unhook the whip , still plugged into the wall, It would read 120 and 120, 240 across
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the center of the cord hooked to the center of the terminal block? The cord center should be going to white, and the outer of the cord going to red and black, assuming you have a 3 prong cord. Sounds like you have the cord hooked up wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes very sure the cord is hooked up correctly. The dryer just quit on its own after two years. I am capable with this kind of thing but dont know the ins and outs of every appliance.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Okay, perfect! So between the center and black, what is the voltage? Center and red? Red and black?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
If all voltages test ok, you may have a shorted heating element that is feeding through neutral and has caused the thermal limit to open causing the dryer not to start. You can check it by removing the top and checking for continuity from the heating element terminal to ground. The element is accessible after removing the top panel with no further disassembly. Number 15 in the picture if that helps....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the voltages at the dryer are 200 and 40 going from center to each hot, 240 from hot to hot. wouldnt an open thermal limit , caused from the heating element , not read on a continuity test, I have tested that part for continuity and it did have.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Correct. I still think you have a wiring issue. You have unplugged the dryer and tested the outlet and the voltages are correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I have even plugged in the whip and tested the ends without them being hooked up to the dryer and gotten normal readings, its only when its hooked up to the dryer and I test it that I get the odd readings at the terminal in the dryer. No tripping of breakers either.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Did you check the element for short to ground? Unplug the dryer and test from the element terminal to ground and see what you get. Sometimes the element comes undone from the ceramic standoffs and shorts to the housing or the back of the drum. Usually this does not happen where the voltage gets weird, but it could if the element stays intact while shorted to ground.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont get any kind of reading at all when unplugged, 6v when plugged in
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Unplugged do you get continuity from element to ground?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No continuity from element to ground unplugged

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
This has me baffled, because one side of the 240 VAC goes to the element directly and the other through the timer. There has to be something wrong with the way it is wired or the house power. Nothing else is gonna give you the voltage issues you are having. I suspect that once there is some load put on the power source, ie. hooked up to the dryer, the voltage is changing at the outlet. I still suggest turning breaker off and looking inside the outlet for wire trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last question would a bad computer or control board cause any of this.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
No, the only thing that is gonna give you the voltage readings you are seeing is if the voltage from the L2 side is somehow getting into neutral, like through a shorted element. You have ruled that out. Did you look at the inside of the outlet yet?