S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My gas dryer is 12 years old. I can smell gas when the door

Customer Question

My gas dryer is 12 years old. I can smell gas when the door is closed to my laundry room. I taped my dryer vent but this did not help. Is it worth having a repair person to make a housecall to further evaluate the smell? Or would it be smarter to just buy a new dryer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

the average life of a dryer these days is 9-12 years. you will spend around 200 to have someone come out and fix it. this is at the point where its a 50/50 chance. there is a good chance you will have another problem soon.

Customer :

That's exactly what my husband thought! So I am guessing, you feel like getting a new dryer would be the best solution.

Customer :

What dryer (gas) or electric would you recommend? Please advise on a specific model and make if you can.

S.E.Thomas :

it depends on what all you want out of a dryer.

S.E.Thomas :

they have some models with the steam option. as far as a brand i would suggest something from whorlpool. there dryer design has not changed in quite a while and is built much better than some of the newer brands. as for the models, as i said this depends on what you want the dryer to do. one thing i always tell people to keep in mind is as you add more options you have more things that can fail. also some models that are similar but just have a few different heat cycles are really exactly the same inside and just look like they have more to offer. in the dryer lines i believe that less is better. its job is just to dry clothes and is really all that any of them do in the end.

S.E.Thomas :

sorry that was whirlpool

S.E.Thomas :
[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Whirlpool® 7.0 cu. ft. Dryer[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] Whirlpool® 7.0 cu. ft. Dryer
WED4800XQ

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]0.9900990099009901[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE][IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]0.9900990099009901[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]$429.00
Customer :

Do you recommend gas or electric?

S.E.Thomas :

this is a good popular model

S.E.Thomas :

as far as gas vs. elec. goes, it used to be that gas was cheaper to run but i dont believe that is true anymore. the only real difference inside is that the electric has an element which costs around $120 and gas only has the igniter and coils which are cheaper to replace when they fail.

S.E.Thomas :

i also seem to do more repairs on elec compared to gas

Customer :

Thank you so much for all your valuable information. Looks like I will be buying a new gas whirlpool dryer. The model you recommended above is gas, correct?

S.E.Thomas :

let me see if it is available in gas

S.E.Thomas :
WGD4800XQ

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]0.9900990099009901[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE][IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]0.9900990099009901[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]$509.00
S.E.Thomas :

this would be it in gas

S.E.Thomas :

if you go to www.whirlpool.com you can view the different gas models side by side

Customer :

Thanks again. Have a good evening.

S.E.Thomas :

thank you. you do the same and your very welcome

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance