Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool ET18GK/ET18GMrefrigerator. The refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool ET18GK/ET18GMrefrigerator. The refrigerator was working fine until we moved it from the kithchen to the garage to make room for a new side by side for a little more room. May be completely coincindental, but the older refrigerator stopped working. The light comes on, both e fan under fridge run and the fan behind the freezer run. I took the rear panel off inside the freezer and after runnig for several hours there was just a little bit of frost on the far right side of the freezer on one of the lines runnig into the freezer coil. This would have been right in front of the defrost thermostat I believe. I have felt the top of the compressor and it feels warm. I am wandering if possibly the compressor start relay could cause this. I would very much appreciate any advise you have on this.
Thank you
Vern Ogden
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
unfortunately the compressor isn't going to be your problem; however, you are going to have a major sealed system problem. The overload relay would make the compressor either stone cold or blazing hot where you couldn't touch it without burning yourself (if it went bad that is). The fact that it's warm and the fans are running means the unit knows it needs to cool but the freon isn't flowing correctly. Often when moving a refrigerator a freon leak will occur, or the freon oil will get into the cooling lines and cause a restriction. Either way, you'll need to have a technician come out and check the freon pressure to see which one is causing the problem. The cost to repair will be between $350-450 so if you don't want to spend that much, you'll be better off just getting rid of the machine.