Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a ge PROFILE top loading washer bought new in 2000.

I have a ge PROFILE top loading washer bought new in 2000. It will run through its cycle but will not aggatate. When it is suppose to aggatate you can smell an electrical smell of burning. It does spin fine and remove the water but no aggatate.

NOTE the aggatator starts for a few seconds and then stops. This is when the electrical burning smell starts

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you pull the agitator of and check this.

its the agitator drive bell, these strip and they wont agitate, let me know if its stripped. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there an exploede view of how to remove it. I have the softner top off but can not see any screws to see how to remove this
there are no screws on the agitator itself, this just pulls off, sometimes it very hard o pull off though, pull hard but be careful I've hit myself in the face a few times when it does come off,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Got it off, Not easy, I am 6'-2' and 220 lbs and it fought me, However it is not stripped. When my wife ran it she said it would go for about 10 seconds and then stop, Should I try running it with out the aggatator on it?

yes and as its runnin g watch the bell drive , see if you can slow it by hand,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, So it looks like the motor turns fine in the counter clockwise direction for the SPIN cycle, But when turning clockwise for the aggatate direction it goes for about 10 seconds and then freezes, The freeze seems to heat the motor up and cause what seems like a thermal cut off. I am not sure if there is anything in the clockwise or aggatate direction that can help the motor turn.
Ok thats not good, the motor is bad, the windings on the agitate are shot and it overheats the motor causing the thermal overload on the motor to trip, thats the smell also, these machines are trouble after this long having it, actually you got more use out of your than most do, the motor is like $315.00 for this i would take that money and but a new machine(whirlpool direct drive) is the best, don't waist money fixing this one, you will have other issues in the near future, hope this helps, thanks Bryan