Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an older magic chef washer and the spin cycle has quit

I have an older magic chef washer and the spin cycle has quit working it will spin if nothing is in it but not with any weight. How do I get to the belt so see if that is what it is? Thanks

ok now i guess i need to know what to look for
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get me the full model #?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked on the back and there is no model there is a sticker that says I should give the model number but no number is XXXXX somewhere else to look? I have the bottom front unscrewed but the top won't come undone or i could see the front of the tub
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you have screws on the bottom of the panel that you took out? ok try this, about 3" in from each side there should be clips holding the top down, they will be between the top and the front panel. use a putty knife to push them in and see if the top lifts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Going downstairs to try did you get the model number W20FA3 Serial HC906093
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
OK and it does have the clips I mentioned and once the top is up you will see 1/5" screws holding the front panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok front panel is off
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
how is the belt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see a belt anywhere

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry I wasn't thinking about that I was trying to help you get the front off, the belt is underneath the machine if you tip it back, just looked at the other diagram and saw that sorry,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok the belt looks fine, no wear and there seems to be tension, lots of dust though! haha
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
always is lots of dust, do you hear the motor run when this is in spin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I think so it just doesn't sound like it gets going faster and faster. It has been acting up for awhile if it is a large load or a blanket. it seems to spin but just not enough to get all the water out. when i did a load this morning it didn't spin at all, but when I tried it empty it did seem to start whn i lifted the lid to look. Shouldn't the lid lock when it is spinning?? smaller loads were working fine. haven't tried any today
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no this lid doesn't lock but should stop when opened, try running this in spin and watch the transmission spin inside, be careful don't put your hand near the transmission when its spinning if it does at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is the transmission
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the part that goes up through center of the tub.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it spins and is spinning very fast I can hear it all the way up here. it is empty but working great. It seems like the weight of the laundry has something to do with it not working.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok replace the belt. it may look OK but these get glazed and slip with a heavy load an sometimes with a light load also, the transmission seem fine, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I replace the belt myself? Tell me how and the green button and a bonus is yours!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure you can, this just rolls off and on, just grab the belt and pull down while turning it and it will come right of the pulley. you can get the belt @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Magic-chef-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-W20FA3/1429/0153000/X2902261/00002?blt=06&prst=&shdMod= and heres the diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
if that helps, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.