Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my oven is not working properly. it is a GE, electric. It will

my oven is not working properly. it is a GE, electric. It will not heat up unless i turn the temp slector knob all the way up and even then it doesnt get real hot. Broil does work however. What should i be looking for? can the bottom element be bad? something else?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Does the bottom element get red hot at all? Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it gets hot, but not hot enough to cook. i have a volt meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
OK, so it doesn't get red? pull the range out and unplug it, remove the back panel and then plug it in put it on bake and test the power to the element, are you getting 220 volts to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i test the power to the element?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
once you get the back panel off near the bottom you will see the wires to the element, put it on bake and put one probe on each side of the element, have your meter on AC volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, there are 3 wires, red, black, white. if i touch the red and black iget 240v. if i touch the white to either of the other wires i only get 120v. can the element go bad?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you are testing the terminal block not the element, that power is correct where your testing, you need to test the element itself, sticking through the back of the oven you will see this,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
it will have two wires one on each terminal, thats what you need to test with the oven in bake. let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i see. i disconnected the element yesterday. i know the two wires you are talking about. can i test them with out the element hooked up or does the element have to be attatched to the wires. currently with the element not hooked up and touching both of those wires i am getting a reading of 001
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you can test them with the element out, we just want to make sure your getting 220 volts to the element.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im getting a reading of 001
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, so i am not getting 220 volts to the element. what do i need to replace?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
with the oven on bake? ok if the broil works but not the bake you will need to control, this is the new setup for your range from what I can find, this however would need to be installed by a tech, they changed all the wiring and these are difficult to install, Its $133.00 plus labor, if you think you can do it yourself heres the link, however i will not be able to help you with the wiring if you cant figure it out, its suppose to come with instructions but there not easy to follow, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/247106?modelNumber=JBP22S1 if you wish, hope Ive been helpful, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.