John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My GE Hotpoint Washer .. large capacity..heavy duty 2 speed,

My GE Hotpoint Washer .. large capacity..heavy duty 2 speed, 8 cycle about 5 years old..was working fine... then during the wash cycle.. B A N G .. a loud clank of metal .. and the tub of the washer was crooked.. but I was able to drain out the water.. and then it wanted to spin.. but i did NOT let it .. I turned it off and took out the wet clothes. do we get the top off to look inside to see what support bar broke that needs to be replaced. ! ???

Thanks for the question.

It sounds like one of the support rods broke.lift the top up . you can see the broken rod its not that difficult to replace.Send me the model number I will send you the breakdown.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We will go give it a try.. and look to see what we need.. I'll get back to ya .. Do we just pry up the top?? from the front or back ?

The clips are at the front about 3 in from each corner.

I will look for the info for you. let me know if you found the rod.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We finally got the top off.....and found that it is the rear support rod.. black on the bottom .. it is still fastend at the bottom .. but the top part came loose.. looks like the entire rod is still one piece... might just have to fasten it back up to the frame.. hubby is going to take the entire top off to get back to it.. then check out the top connection to make sure it did not break where it fastens in .

thank you so much for your support ..

Heres some info to help you and hubby with the repair.

Thanks and God Bless.