Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a jenn air model sve47600B. I changed the electronic

Customer Question

I have a jenn air model sve47600B.
I changed the electronic clock assembly with part number 71001799. The orginal assembly display had faded to the point that it was unreadable.
Everything works properly except the cancel button on the touch pad. When I press it it does not make the "BEEP" sound that all the other touch pad buttons make. I put in the old assembly to see if it makes any dirrerence, but it does not.
I have only used the oven 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years and as I recall, it worked just fine.
Thanks,
Bill Leeman atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

the problem is the touch pad (key pad) itself.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
the cancel key is bad, unfortunately this will also need to be replaced, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad-and-Control-Panel/695350 hope this info is helpful, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If a new key pad panel is not the problem then what. I am happy to pay you, but only if your diagnose is correct. How do we proceed?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
theres only two parts to the control assembly, 1 you replaced, the other is the keypad , the key pad is the issue, the diagnoses is correct, . the only other thing you can try (sometimes it works) is go to radio shack and get some HQ contact cleaner and spray the ribbon connection from the key pad at the clock where it plugs in, unplug the ribbon and spray both the ribbon and the clock , sometimes although rare the connection there is dirty . thats the only other reason, if that doesn't work you will need to replace the key pad, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay Bryan,

I will do as you suggest. Ist Radio Shack and then, if necessary, replace the panel. However, this is a very expensive part as you know. If this still does not prove to be not the solution, can I still return to you for help and not pay additional $$$.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you can return and ask more questions without paying any more money, just leave the question open after you accept, believe me though its the key pad, I know these are expensive, the factory part # XXXXX 71002033 if you want to search for a better price, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay,

Thanks for your help. Sorry I don't like to give up my $ so easily. I must have been very poor in my former life.

Leeman

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats fine, well wishes and thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

I used you to determine the problem with my Jenn Air Model SVE47500. I had to change the electric clock assembly (71001799) only to discover that the Cancel Off button did not work. You told me to replace the entire panel (71002033). The new panel did allow me to use the Cancel Off button. However, the oven light stayed on and the button for the 2 stage fan no longer worked. I contacted the parts supply house (Appliance Zone) and they sent me a new panel. This too is acting the same as the last one. The Cancell Off button works, but the Oven Light Button Beeps, but the light remains on, and the Fan Button has does not beep when pushed and does not turn on will not turn on.

Putting the orginal panel back on with either the orginal clock assembly where the front is dim/black or with the new colock assembly gives me full control over all buttons except the cancel off button. What do you think

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
wow thats strange, check the oven door light switch on this. is it working correctly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the door light switch works. And equally important, the fan button no longer will turn on the fan.

I am happy to push the accept answer button, However, You told me back on Oct. 13 that I cold return a ask more questions for free if buying/replacing the panel did not correct the problem.

What tests can I perform??? The chances of 2 panels being bad is rather slim, but they are both acting the same way...and the orginal panel still gives the most control over the stove and oven. Only the Canel Off Button does not work.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you don't need to press the accept button anymore . you paid me and I said you can come back if you need more help. I'm scratching my head on this one to be honest,I doubt both panels are bad. boy I'm at a lose though, the only way to test a key pad is with a key pad tester, and that cant even test all the key pads some the ribbon is to wide, let me take another look at your unit, I'll be back in a bit, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You bet.

Like I said, with the old panel back on, all button function except the Cancell Off Button.

Thanks Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
heres the wiring diagram. I need to look at this real good and see if theres something I'm missing. maybe one of the switches is bad, d

Edited by Bryan on 10/29/2010 at 6:13 PM EST
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
don't know if this makes any sense but take a look,

Register Here
can you check the switches, door and lock?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay,

When you say "heres the wiring diagram" you don't mean that you are sending it to me. Only that you have it.

Also,

I have 2 electric clock assemblies( 71001799) and they both work the same way on the orginal panel. All buttons beep and contol varios functions with the exception of the Cancell Off Button.
Now the 2 new panels work the Cancel Off button correctly, but not the Fan nor the OVen light. Perhaps there is the problem, maybe the ribbon is backwards?

Do you have a relationship with Appliance Zone Parts. Both Panels seem brand new with Jenn Air on them.

I need to go out for a while. I will check my e-mail when I get home.

Thanks again

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well the ribbon wouldn't be backwards or the other functions wouldn't work. I'll work on this some more and see what i can find out, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay,

I look forward to what you find out.

Thanks,

Bill Leeman

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I am a bit out of sinc with the questions and answers.

I have checked the door operation and the 2 swithches/buttons, (one controls the interior light when the oven door is opened and the other I believe goes with the cleaning operation. Everything moves freely. The door lock is part of the cleaning operation. I have to go into the operation manual to see if it works correctly. I have only used the oven a few times and the oven looks brand new.

I need to go to the airport to pick up my wife. I will check the door lock later and report back.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok. Bill ,sorry I had to go out last night myself, get back to me today. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan

Thats okay. The stove does work, so I am not sittting around freaking out.

I have a feeling that this may turn out to be a lengthy learning experience.

I will be in and out all day. We can take this one strp at a time if you like.

Thanks,

Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, Bill, I'm trying to get more info on this and have turned to a few friends who are also techs, when I hear back from them I'll let you know, I'm hoping someone has had this issue and can shed some light on this,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roger that.

Bill Leeman

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
it will be tomorrow before I can speak to him , thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure.

Bill

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thanks. talk then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Bryan,

Any news about the problem I am having with my Jenn-Air?

Bill Leeman

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no, he's not sure either, he does think theres a bad its a bad wire or connection somewhere in the machine though, theres no reason if both the control and the key pad have been replaced this should happen, he recomends getting a tech to look at this, sorry I dont know anything else to tell you, i feel bad but not being there I can only do so much. some things just cant be fixed on line unfortunately, thanks, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 11/3/2010 at 11:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need some time to think this over........

both electric clock assembly act the same way with all 3 panels.

With the orginal panel, everything works fine with the exception of the CANCEL OFF Button. It neither beeps nor does it cancel the oven mode.

Now with the 2 new panels, both electric clock assembly act the same. The CANCEL OFF button beeps and cancels the oven mode, (BAKE.) BUT, the oven light remains on and the exhaust fan will not turn on.

I have been thinking about this too and I just don't believe it is the internal wiring of the stove/oven. Because of the fact that with the orginal panel, all modes work, except in the CANCEL OFF mode.

Think about this some more, would you. I am ready to do anything that you suggest, except call in a tech. at this time.

Could it be that both the new panels are missed wired? Do you know if The Appliance Zone Parts dealer is reputable. And you mention some sort of test that can be performed on the panel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the only test has to be done with a key pad tester. Ive never heard any complaints against the appliance zone however i dont do a lot of business with them so i cant be sure, there is this that could be an issue,

Register Here
but i didnt think this would cause an issue between the key pad and the control (clock)