Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Intermittent knocking noise -- need on-site repair check No

Intermittent knocking noise -- need on-site repair check? No apparent problems. Just disconcerting knocking -- sometimes after opening one of the doors -- other times for no apparent reason.

is the knocking comming from the back near the compressor? does this seem to knock when the refrigerator compressor shuts off

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No -- there is no connection to timing that is obvious at the user level. It often knocks after the door has been opened. BUT, it also knocks intermittently when the doors have not been opened for hours -- since the unit is quiet nor am I in the kitchen, I cannot tell if it occurs primarily when the compressor quits.

Please help. My account has been charged and I have not "accepted."

your account has only been put on hold for your deposit, what you should check is the fan in the freezer, can you remove the back panel inside the freezer and tell me what the frost pattern is like?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I don't think I want to try that. At 76, I am a woman who is agile enough to fix computers and networks, which I do all the time, but I don't think I'm ready to tackle reconstructing my fridge

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
If you'll tell me what you think might be going on, that will help me decide whether to get a local repairman. FYI -- the freezer and refrigerator are working very satisfactorily. BUT, if/when I notice a continuing sound that seems strange, I like to research it to be sure that I don't neglect an early warning signal. This intermittent knocking (somewhere at the rear) has been present since purchase about 18 months ago. But, as I mentioned, it seems to have little/no relationship to any user activity. If you can give me some more info on what it could signal, I will certainly accept your advice as well worth this conversation. Thanks.
I believe the fan in the freezer is the issue on this, it may be caused by frost or ice buildup around the fan(the most common cause for your issue) thats why we needed to get a look at it, my advice would be call someone that can look at this, wish there was a simple solution for you though, if the fan fails completely you will loose your food, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed to know to proceed. I have sent feedback and a small thank you. Good wishes for your work.
thank you and well wishes, Bryan