Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My 1996 G.E. refrigerator serial # 000N094J has developed a

My 1996 G.E. refrigerator serial # XXXXX has developed a noise at the end of the cooling cycle. There is a metalic "clack" followed by a heavy vibrationand rattle. It all comes from down where a metal cylinder is situated. My uneducated guess is that a refrigerant valve closes (which is the first noise) with such force that it shakes the spring mounted cylinder. Is there a solution that a handy man might try ??

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

the compressor piston mounts inside the compressor are worn, this makes it ratting and clunk when the compressor shuts down, there nothing short of changing the compressor that can be done and thats an expensive job , your looking at 6-7 hundred dollars, sorry , you can live with it until it fails or replace it or the refrigerator, thanks Bryan