Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have a Whirlpool wwc287 bls wine cellar purchased in 12/07.

I have a Whirlpool wwc287 bls wine cellar purchased in 12/07. It ran well for a few months and then stopped being able to cool to the setpoint and hold temperature. It has been a very expensive cabinet ever since.

I turned it on this morning. The compressor is running and is able to chill both top and bottom chambers to upper approximately 57 degrees no matter what the setting. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 4 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

generally on these if the compressor is running and it won't cool enough you have a low refigerant charge

Repairman1981 :

is the cooling fan working inside this unit's cabinet, you could have an issue there. To be certain you need to access the coils behind the back wall and check the frost pattern

Repairman1981 :

If it's cooling to 57 but no lower it could be only 1/2 -1/3 of the coil frosting up.

Repairman1981 :

or you could have a bad fan

Repairman1981 :

can you post the full model number

Customer :

The compressor is warm, but I cannot

Customer :

access figure out how to access the coils

Repairman1981 :

wen you say warm do you mean warm or scalding hot

Customer :

We can hear the fan running

Repairman1981 :

you access the coils from inside the unit .... if the fan is running you have a freon problem and should hire a factory authorized whirlpool tech

Customer :

scalding hot

Repairman1981 :

Proabbly will be free I think these have a 5 yar sealed system warranty

Repairman1981 :

Scalding hot means there isn't enough freon to cool the compressor and the cabinet

Repairman1981 :

Not something you can fix yourself

Customer :

May husband wants to know if there could be an exhaust issue with the fun that is preventing the compressor from rejecting heat? We have two shelties and could knit a new dog every week, so it is possible that something is clogged with hair

Repairman1981 :

You would see a BOATLOAD of hair if that were the case

Repairman1981 :

It would be possible, look behind the front grille

Repairman1981 :

I would highly doubt it would be clogged that badly

Repairman1981 :

from dec 07 highly doubt it.

Repairman1981 :

You can check though

Repairman1981 :

Also check your manual to see about the sealed system warranty

Repairman1981 :

Around mid 2008 everything went to 1 year flat

Repairman1981 :

I think 2007 would be under the 5 year selaed system warranty

Customer :

We can't even find a grill . . . the fan we hear is in the top of the unit to recirculate the cool air in the unit - duh on our part. There was a lot of hair underneath the unit but not around the compressor.

Repairman1981 :

If there was a lot then try it for 24 hours

Repairman1981 :

after cleaning it of course

Repairman1981 :

Might do it, but usually these will cool better than 57 with little to no airflow

Repairman1981 :

if it's that hot it will take it a while too get back to normal

Customer :

The warranty says it is good for 1 year, which I missed acting on and why I haven't taken the time to follow up on this. It sounds like a compressor issue to us as well, but one last ? There is a tray right about the compressor that looks like a drip tray that is attached with two screws we took it off and it is full of a brown oily substance that doesn't really have any smell. There is a very small hole above it, otherwise the box to the chiller is completely sealed. Would this be in any way related?

Repairman1981 :

not related at all ..... compressor oil is very stinky

Repairman1981 :

That is just where the defrost water goes, probaby just some moldy trash in the water

Repairman1981 :

Maybe even some rust

Repairman1981 :

Either way if there isn't any smell it

Repairman1981 :

isn't compressor oil

Repairman1981 :

If it's out of warranty prepare for a 350-700 repair depending on repair rates in your area

Repairman1981 :

If the unit costs less than 1000 I would scrap it

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

Please remember to click accept and leave feedback

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands