Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Kenmore Elite refrigerator shows er ff on display panel.

My Kenmore Elite refrigerator shows er ff on display panel. Paperwork says that is the fan motor that blows the cold air up in the refigerator, unplugged and plugged back in and it worked for one more day now back to er ff. Took apart freezer compartment to expose fan turned unit back on and fan works. Now what??

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

was there a lot of frost around the fan? when you got the fan running was the FF gone?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The freezer was frosty and refrigerator was warm so I emptied it and unplugged it. So not sure about frost around the fan. I cannot find a model #. Yes the FF is gone but only for a day.

ok whats happening is when the frost gets around the fan it can stop it which will then bring up the FF code (freezer fan) you either have a defrost issue or the fan itself is failing, put the back panel again and tell me how much frost is on and in the coils, is it really clogged up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay, makes perfect sense. What has to be done about a defrost issue.

I did have some ice in the bottom of my ice bin that had melted and then refroze, like really melted. Does that help? Also, when I took it apart it was really wet in the bottom of the freezer like ice had defrosted in there. So, it must have been really frosty in there.

yeah most likely your defrost thermostat is bad in this( the most common cause) this is a defrost thermostat for Kenmore and will work in all Kenmore refrigerators, its clipped to the coils on top,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
you can order this @ defrost the freezer with a hair dryer and then replace this, that should do it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am going to accept your answer, but I am looking for this part right now. Where do I find the defrost thermostat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, found the thermostat, didn't look like the one you pictured but thats okay, found it and found it on The part is ordered and hopefully it will fix the problem. Thank you so much for your help!!!!
your welcome , thanks Bryan