S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I Have a Maytag dryer Centennial. A few weeks ago it just stopped

I Have a Maytag dryer Centennial. A few weeks ago it just stopped working. I checked it out & found the thermal fuse & the thermal cutoff had no continuity. I called a repair shop & they sold me a 279816 thermal cutoff kit & new thermal fuse. I installed it according to instructions & everything was working just fine. Then my wife told me that the timer just keeps on running right past the stop mark on a couple of different settings. (like air fluff & automatic dry settings. I felt there was something else going on for sure. After it got to the stop on the timed dry cycle it should have stopped right there.
Right now the dryer doesn't work again & the same thing is going on. the machine is only a couple of years old at the most. I got 40 years out of the last Kenmore dryer that I owned.

Is there something wrong with the timer? That is the only thing I can think of at the minute that could be causing the problem. The model # XXXXX XXXXX Serial # XXXXX (NNN) NNN-NNNN By the way the exaust hose & everything is clean & clear.

Thankyou for any help you can give me. Bruce Rylott

S.E.Thomas :

if the thermal fuse as blown again then i would first check the continuity of the heating element. remove both wires going to the element and check from one terminal to the element casing and then the other terminal to the case. you should not have any continuity at all. do this first and let me know what you find?

S.E.Thomas :

also check from one terminal to the other and make sure you have full continuity.

S.E.Thomas :

i see you are not online. please let me know when you can do this?

S.E.Thomas :

there you are

S.E.Thomas :

can you do this now?

S.E.Thomas :

this is most likely a bad timer but i want you to do this test firs then one other one.

S.E.Thomas :

also please get me the complete model number from inside the dryer door. it seams that yo mixed you the numbers a little.

S.E.Thomas :

are you there?

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

I'm not ready to do it right now I have to take off the back panel & get everything I need in place. My computer is also screwing up.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

If you could hold on I Can do it.

S.E.Thomas :

well can you please go double check the model number while i wait?

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

Model # XXXXX Then another # XXXXX I see is MY0825049 Serial # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

S.E.Thomas :

this is a whirlpool design with the maytag name.

S.E.Thomas :

your problem is going to be a bad timer most likely. i just need you to test a few things to be sure

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

Ok I found that the element was ok & had continuity but also had continuity when I touched the case. I took the cover off & found the element was touching the metal divider & the ceramic was broken in half.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

I think it got to hot and the timer is still a problem. What do you think

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

Also the thermal fues was blown again.

S.E.Thomas :

there is your problem

S.E.Thomas :

what happens is the element being shorted to the case causes it to not cycle

S.E.Thomas :

this causes it to over heat and blow the fuse

S.E.Thomas :

now as for the timer, you will need to replace the element and the fuse.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

is the timer ok then?

S.E.Thomas :

with that being shorted it sends power through the neutral side of the timer and causes it to continue running. i cant say that it will be ok for sure due to this could have shorted the contacts but there is a chance that it will be fine. its usually a 50/50 shot

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

I need to get a ceramic piece as well to hold the element from the divider metal

S.E.Thomas :

no the element comes complete with the ceramic pieces

S.E.Thomas :

give me one min and i will get you the part numbers and prices through a discounted site.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

ok I guess I will try & just replace the element & fuse only first.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

Ok thank you!

S.E.Thomas :

the element pat number is XXXXX and the normal price is $85.99. you can get this at www.appliancepartspros.com for 44.95.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

Ok I'll give it a shot. the price is a little more then the older modles I see.

S.E.Thomas :

the thermal fuse kit is number 279816

S.E.Thomas :

and the cost is $22.95

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

thank you so much for your help.

JACUSTOMER-82l38aa9- :

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP I'LL ORDER IT TOMMORROW MORNING.

S.E.Thomas :

your very welcome. thank you for using just answer and dont forget to accept please