Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I need to replace my kenmore calypso washer. I purchased it

I need to replace my kenmore calypso washer. I purchased it Dec. 31 2003 and it was delivered Jan. 2004. I have been authorized a credit of $870.00 towards a new washer. I would like suggestions for a washer that I will not have the excessive repair problems I had with the calypso. I think I prefer top load with large capacity. Thank you, Chris

buy a whirlpool direct drive top load heavy duty washer , they are the most reliable machine on the market today and have been for the last fifteen years, the most that goes wrong withe these usually is the drive coupling will break about every 5-7 years and the lid switch is plastic so they can break if you slam the lid down to much, you can get one of the better whirlpools for around $500.00 Lowes and Home depot has the best deals on these,, are they giving you a check or credit that you will have to use at sears? if its a cash back deal put the rest away,. hope this helps in your decision, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan, Do you have a model number for the Whirlpool Direct Drive? I have to make my purchase at Sears. I don't think they will give me any money back! I'm willing to put in extra money to get a reliable washer. I feel very lucky that Sears is finally going to honor the lemon I purchased. I like to be able to wash full/queen size comforters. Thanks for your help. Chris
well the best thing to do in your case is check consumer reports on the models, the fancier you get the more likely you will have trouble with it, the simpler the better the electronic controls have been issues, I would check consumer reports. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan, I just got back from Sears. I ordered the Whirlpool Cabrio (second highest rating on the Consumer Report). I wasn't going to get a Whirlpool since they were the maker of the Kenmore's Calypso. But with your recommendation and my Consumer printout in hand I think I will be happy. Thank you for you fast input. warm regards, Chris