Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag Series 8 Electric Hot Water Heater. Serial #F99465181.

Customer Question

Maytag Series 8 Electric Hot Water Heater. Serial #F99465181. Your Equipment # XXXXX - Purchased from State Industrial, Ashland City, Tn - Don't know when.

My husband has passed away, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem - so

We had hot water yesterday, but not today. I've checked the circuits and breakers. They were ok. Is there a way we can check to see if it needs to be set higher. There is water in the tank, and the pressure at the sinks is ok - it's just cold.

It aint' easy being a widow.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

well you are getting no hot water what so ever, not even warm?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was slightly warm for a short while, but we ran the washer before we realized we had no hot water. The pipes are not warm at all. My husband had them insulated with rubber; however, when I felt inside the rubber covers, the pipes were just cool.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
doesn't sound like your getting 220 volts to this, this has two heaters in it and both would not go out at the same time it has to be an electrical problem, did you shut the breaker off all the way over then snap it back or did you just look at it and it seemed to be on.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a 220 hook-up. Last night, I completely shut the breakers off and snapped them hard back on. I also did that again this morning. They had not turned off on their own. I'm going to hit the green, but I thought I had to wait until the end. I'll share with you my feelings on this as soon as we're done. Thanx so much.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok . do you have tolls? a volt meter and know how to use it, I realize this can be overwhelming but we need to see if there 220 at the water heater, let me know if you or someone you know does,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what a toll is. I'm checking on a volt meter. This will take a couple of minutes. I don't normally carry a volt meter in my pocket. Sorry
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry tools.not tolls, duh my mistake,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, well yes we do have some tools, and I think we have a voltage meter is I can find it - but -

the heater is hard wired (at least it has flexible conduit from the heater to upstairs. Yes I can go upstairs to see where the wire comes out. Does any of this make sense?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well the way you will need to test this is to remove the cover on top of the water heater where the wires go in and remove the wire nuts and test it there, you will need to shut the power off to do this (get the nuts off) make sure they are not touching each other or grounded, then turn the breaker back on and test, this should be done by an electrician though, I don't want you getting hurt, the other way would be remove the two covers on the front to get to the heating elements and test there,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I really appreciate what you have told me. Sometimes these things are a little overwhelming for us gals, and we have no place to turn. I also appreciate your honesty about if I should really be doing this myself, and have someone else. I'm scared of electricity, so I'll get help. Thanx for your help. This is the first time I have ever trusted the internet for something like this, and I feel your were honest with me and I would not hesitate to recommend this service to others. Thank you so much, and have a great day.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well thank you and well wishes,. your safety is more important than money, thanks Bryan