S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Kenmore self cleaning ultra oven. The upper element

I have a Kenmore self cleaning ultra oven. The upper element burned out, and tho the plate with model number had been removed, possibly by sears, as a discontinued product, I was able to get an upper element thru sears. I have installed it, but none of the oven elements work, not lower, upper or convection elements. Is there a reset button, or have I blown the fuses? What do you think? Rick Patterson.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
what usually happens when one of the elements shorts out is it shorts the clock relays. you most likely have no power coming from the clock control board and with out the model number you will most likely not get the correct part number. did you look behind the drawer on the frame leg for the model number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your info. Yes I looked where the model number traditionally is, but it appears this was a discontinued model ( I bought it second hand, but nearly new) as it was sold without the model number plate. A Sears technician told me that that is the way discontinued models are sold, without the model number plate. What purpose not telling the model number would serve I don't know, but that's what he said, and there is no indication a plate was ever there. The part , the upper element was all but identical, and so don't think itis the wrong part. If I hav no power coming from the clock control board, then what do I need to do to get the power flowing from the control board? Do I have a reset button or do I need to replace the relays or the entire control board? This seems like a possibly expensive fix. Bad design too.
yes it can be expensive. the only way to fix it is to replace the control board. there may be a part number located on the board that you could enter at www.appliancepartspros.com and se if it is correct. it will most likely say PN in front of the number. as far as the model number being missing from the unit, this is not done to old models but to units that are sold with no warranty or were to be destroyed. some companies will have these as floor models or damaged units. they are then to send the model number tag back to the company and destroy the units. what they do is sent the tag back and fix the unit and then sell it. the reason it looks like it was never there is because it is nothing more than a sticker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi s e thomas. I will look for the part number in the morning and will minimize this on the computer til then, am not trying to not pay you, as your answer has I think saved me a lot of messing around. So there is no relay to replace, no button to p;ush that will reset a breaker, just a design without a safety mechanism, hence a big expense for the purchaser. Well if so I won't buy a Kenmore item again. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and will check it out in the am. Rick Patterson
i agree. almost seems that they build them this way on purpose.will wait to hear back from you
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help, I will look for part number on control board this morning, and see what the part will cost. I think a new stove might be in order. But will see what comes of it. Thanks again for your help, it is quite a fair deal and price. Rick Patterson.