Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool side by side Ref. The freezer is working

I have a Whirlpool side by side Ref. The freezer is working fine ,the refrigerator is 50 degrees at the top and 30 degrees on the bottom. What is the problem?

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer? is the fan in the freezer running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is frost on the back of the ice maker, and the fan in the freezer is still running
ok, you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils, let me know when you get the panel off. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay i just got the panel off
what does the frost on the coils look like? is it really clogged up or is there just a little, if just a little is it on all the coils?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no ice build up, only a little bit of frost on all the coils
ok, thats good as long as all the coils have frost, you can put the panel back on, a couple of things you need to check then, 1 the diffuser assembly, check for air flow through thispart # XXXXX on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
and second make sure the light in the refrigerator goes off when you shut the door, there is a door switch that shuts it off make sure thats working,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, I checked the air flow and it is running fine. and the switch to turn off the refrigerator is also working.
ok down the bottom of the fresh food section there is a return vent going back into the freezer check and make sure thats not blocked. also take the light bulb out in the fresh food section for an hour or two and see if the temp come down, its possible the door isn't hit the switch enough and pushing it in to shut the light off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the return vent is completely frozen
thats your problem, when the door is shut theres no air movement, it can return and circulate, take a hair dryer and defrost it and it will run fine, good job, thanks Bryan