John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a GE profile frontload machine model # WCVH6800J1WW.

Customer Question

I have a GE profile frontload machine model # XXXXX The problem is that it won't fill. We've checked the pump filter and the hose screens and just about anything else we could think of with no luck. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am here to assist you. When you mean it won't fill do you mean no water comes in to the machine? Also, does this happen for both hot and cold water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was my wife who initially asked the question. Yes no water comes into it. I have already replaced the solenoid valve thinking it was a mechanical problem. The electirc is good. We have hard water and thought that the spring in the solenoid was bad. I have run the diagnostics and had 2 error codes. The first error code was the solenoid valve assembly and the second was the drain pump. I cleared the error codes and then ran all 13 diagnostics. And every thing worked individually. But when I try to run a regular cycle it tumbles twice and the pump runs for 3 minutes then the machine pauses and turns off.
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Okay, sorry about the delay. Can I assume you have checked both ends of your water hoses to make sure there is no clog? Did you get any hard water deposits in your washer? Now when you say the pump runs for 3 minutes and then pauses and turns off, what pump are you talking about? Lastly since you have replaced the water valve have you unplugged the machine for 5 minutes and then plug it back in to see if it will reset? Also, open your dispenser door and turn on your washer and make sure it looks like you are getting good flow in to the dispenser before the unit shut off. I am here and if not I will be back shortly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to us. We had gone to bed... To answer your questions. Yes, I checked both end of the water hoses and there is no clog. When running the diagnostics I got the machine to fill but it will not fill when I run a cycle. So that means I get no flow into the dispenser at all. I am fairly certain that the machine had been unplugged after replacing the water valve but I have unplugged it again to be sure. It is the drain pump that runs for 3 minutes before the unit shuts off.
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about the delay, yes the thing that runs for 3 minutes is the drain pump. Let me know what happens when you plug it back in. When you run the diagnostics during fill does it stop on its own during the test or do you just go on to the next test. I am checking to see if the pressure switch is bad and that is why I am asking that question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you get my email from last night?
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
No sorry, please resend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I ran the diagnostic again and when I get to t02 I have a error code 30 for the drain pump. I hold start and it clears the code. I get t06 Pressure Switch Test and I go through all three stages. It begins with "E" for empty, then it fills to "F" for Foam level. I press start again to fill to Main level "nl". It starts to fill and after 3 or so minutes the drain pump starts to make an awful sound like grinding gears. I does this for about 10 minutes and I have to stop it. It never reaches "OF" for "pumps out"and then "E" for empty tub. However, when I press the power button to exit t t06, the pumps runs quietly without the grinding sound. When I go to the next test t07, Thermistor/Heater Test, the manual tells me that "Main level pressure switch must work".The washing machine displays 90 degrees, and begins to heat the water. After a few minutes, it drops to 75 degrees then 77 and ends at 79 degrees after 5 minutes. I don't know what that means but when I go to the next test, it pumps the water out without any problems. I finish the rest of the test and everything works fine except when I do t13 the EOL Test. It fills the tub successfully but when it is filling , the grinding sound begins again. I turn it off and the drain pump pumps out the water quietly and quickly like it is suppose to. Now I test the pressure switch and with my multimeter and it I believe it works correctly. It has a little resistance when there is no pressure and infinite when there is pressure. So what do you think is wrong?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Switch opens when I blow into into is between 11 ,12 and 22,21 terminal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Randy. Just trying to see if you recieved my last email.