rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances

my dishwasher seems to be stuck in the drain mode. When i

Customer Question

my dishwasher seems to be stuck in the drain mode. When i turn it on no water comes out and it just sounds like it is draining.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
rob clement :

Hi,it sounds like there is water in the base and the flood switch has been activated.Can you pull the kick plate off the bottom and see if there is any water.

rob clement :

If there is no water,look on the left hand side for a round styrofoam piece and see if it is chewed up or disinegrated

Customer :

There is no water. Foam is in fine shape.

rob clement :

if you press down on the red plastic rod,will it quit trying to drain?

Customer :

If you are talking about the red thing on the left side, nothing happens when I push it down.

rob clement :

yes thats what i am referring to.You are going to need to pull the dishwasher out and get access to the flood switch on the left hand side of the machine.If there is no water and the foam is in good shape something is up with the flood switch.It may have failed.Do you have access to a test meter?

Customer :

What does the switch look like?

rob clement :

It is a micro switch with 3 wires going to it.1 side is for the fill level,the other is for the flood sitch

Customer :

Okay, what do you want me to do with it?

rob clement :

Sometimes you can look at it and tell the switch has collapsed,if not you will need a way to check for continuity,do you have a meter?

Customer :

I can get one but can you tell me where the float is so I can see if it is stuck?

Customer :

I don't know what you mean by collapsed

rob clement :

The float is the styrofoam,it has the red actuator attached and it goes to the flood switch.If the switch is collapsed you will not see the white piece that sticks out,it will be inside the switch.

rob clement :

On the switch,if you have continuity between the white wire and the violet wire the switch is bad

rob clement :

I misspoke check the white to gray wire not to violet

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob, I am working on the dishwasher again. Nothing has worked yet. When I turn it on it makes a noise but no water is going to the dishwasher. I have ck'd to make sure water is turned on and that it is getting to the dishwasher and both are good. It just doesn't

seem to be pulling it into the dishwasher.

Are you sure it is the drain pump running and have you checked the switch on the left side of the dishwasher yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what is runnung. I just said it sounds like it is stuck in drain mode. I have not ck'd for continuity yet.There are three switches. One that has 2 grey and one white, one that has 2 violet and one that has white, violet, grey. Which one do you want me to test?
check the white to grey on the one with the violet.Does the sound go away when you open the door or continue?
Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband has the test meter right now. Is there anything else I can check for in case it is not the drain? Any other reason water would not be pulled into the dishwasher?
Could be a bad water valve,if the switch checks ok,have him check for 120v at the valve.
Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the water valve?
Front left side behind the kickplate.One other thing to temporarily try,turn off the power and swap the grey and violet and see if it fills.Only do that long enough to see if water flows.
Will the sound go away if the door is opened?
Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ended up pouring some water into the bottom and used my sink hose to force some water into the back jets and that worked. Thank you for trying.
Thanks