Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Top of refrigerator is no longer cold

Top of refrigerator is no longer cold

is the freezer section working? is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer? do you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the freezer is working. About a week ago there was frost on the things in the freezer. We do not hear any clicking from the compressor.
ok the freezer is working thats good, you need to remove the back panel (inside the freezer) and take a look at the frost pattern, can you do that? is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

after removing the trays, there is frost on the panel, but you want the panel off, is that correct? My husband is about to start taking it off.

yes , you have a defrost problem in this, do you have a hair dryer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Trying to find a hair dryer. Unsuccessful to this point.

ok let me know, you will need to defrost this,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've found the hair dryer. The track that the basket is blocking the back panel from being able to be removed.
usually you can slip it up and by the rails, this may be frozen on the bottom put the hair dryer on the bottom of the panel and let it defrost for a bit see if it comes loose,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it off, it is frozen on top of coil where copper tubing is
is the fan running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no we don't hear a fan running. Still trying to defrost ice
ok let me know when you get it defrosted, is most of the frost on the top of the coils? I believe your fan has failed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, if the fan has failed, can we purchase one from a local store?
let me look up the part and get you a part #. does your fan look like this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The number on the fan is ADL-5846AMEA. It does not seem to look like the one you sent.
thats because they changed them, yours is probably white correct? MOTOR KIT - Note: Part has been redesigned and the replacement will be different than the original shown in the photo.

Read more:

Edited by Bryan on 10/7/2010 at 1:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is white
the new part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNthey had trouble with these fan motors and changed the design, you can order this on line @ or call local supply houses and see if they have one, hope this has been helpful, thanks Bryan