John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

The status light on my whirlpool water heater is a solid, continuous

Customer Question

The status light on my whirlpool water heater is a solid, continuous flash indicating a system shutdown. The model number is XXXXX There's also a beep about every 30 seconds.
What do I need to do to get the water heater back online?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
First, try removing the power for one hour to see if the control board will reset its program. Please post back to me with the result.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I turn the power off to a gas water heater?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The 120 volt circuit for the water heater is protected by a single pole breaker in your electrical service panel. It's easiet to turn it off there. If the breaker isn't identified, you'll need to switch the breakers off, one at a time, until you locate the correct one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay, I'll give that a try and let you know.

At this time I'm not entirely sure how long it's been down as we just got home around 3:30 today and it seemed to be working okay this morning.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
OK. Our conversation stays active for 48 hours, and any deposit remains in you JustAnswer account, until you accept an answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning. It turns I misinterpeted the code on the water heater and the beep was coming from the nearby carbon monoxide dector.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
There are just too many beeps in this century, ya?