S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I own a Kenmore self cleaning smoothtop slide in range 223

I own a Kenmore self cleaning smoothtop slide in range 223 644 069 Model #c970. I keyed in on the control panel for self cleaning, the door locked. I interupted the process and now the door remains locked and a code f9 comes on the screen. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

stopping the clean cycle on these is never a good idea. how long was the oven in the clean mode and how long did you wait to try and open the door after you canceled the cycle?

Customer :

It was only in clean mode for about 3 minutes when I realized I had made a mistake. I tried to open the door right away.

S.E.Thomas :

once the door locks you must wait for the lock light to go out before you try to open the door. the first thing to try is hit the cancel button one time and immediately select the clean cycle again and let it start. once it starts wait one min and then cancel it. do not try to open the door. let me know what it does

Customer :

I did what you said but the locked door light is still on and the f9 code is on the screen again and it is beeping. The beeping stops for a few minutes when I press the cancel button

S.E.Thomas :

the next thing to try is turn the breaker off for 5 min and then back on.

S.E.Thomas :

you may need to replace the look switch.

S.E.Thomas :

try the power first

Customer :

I did that and it still beeps. My trouble shoot manual say this 'Electronic control has detected a fault conditon. Press Stop/Clear to clear the display and stop the beeping. Reprogram oven. If fault remains, record fault number . press stop/Clear and contact and authorized servicer.

S.E.Thomas :

also just to give you a heads up, i will not be able to look up your part numbers as i just noticed this is a canadian model and we have no access to your model numbers. you will need to contact a local appliance store and ash them for the part number of the lock. they will me able to give you the part number and then you can order it and replace which is what needs to be done if it does not reset whit the power off for 5 min.

S.E.Thomas :

yes the fault is F9 which is a bad door lock

S.E.Thomas :

some times it will reset which is what iu just had you try

S.E.Thomas :

that did not work which means the door lock is bad and needs to be changed

Customer :

Is this problem in the computer on the control panel and can the control panel be reset

S.E.Thomas :

turning the power off for 5 min is how you reset the control. you said you did that and the code still came back. that means that the lock is bad

Customer :

Thank you for you help.

S.E.Thomas :

F0Board failureReplace control board (also called ERC or clock).
F1Board failureReplace control board (also called ERC or clock).
F2Oven temperature is too high1. Look for welded relay contacts on bake or broil relays. If this happens, replace oven control (also called clock or ERC).
2. For SELF CLEAN models: check door lock operation.
3. Look for a high resistance connection or any other cause of high resistance in the oven temperature sensor circuit. Check sensor, sensor harness and sensor harness connection at sensor and oven control. Replace sensor if found defective.

Remember: Oven control (ERC) measures resistance of sensor circuit, not actual oven temperature.
F3Oven temperature sensor (RTD) openReplace Oven temperature sensor (RTD)
F4Oven temperature sensor (RTD) shortedReplace Oven temperature sensor (RTD)
F5Board failureReplace control board (also called ERC or clock).
F7Function key stuck on ERCReplace control board (also called ERC or clock).
F8Board failureReplace control board (also called ERC or clock).
F9Oven door lock failureCheck wiring to door lock switch (the wire harness may be connected wrong). Check for stuck lock switch.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance