The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

when i turn my electric dryer (Frigidaire) on there are sparks

Customer Question

when i turn my electric dryer (Frigidaire) on there are sparks in the upper right hand corner and the back turns red. what could the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.

If the unit is producing sparks then you may have a heating element going out. Eventually (if it already hasnt) the element will burn out and the unit will cease to heat.

The only solution is replacement of the heating element.

Please post the model number of your unit and I will provide parts information.

Thank you.

Edited by The Home Smithy on 10/5/2010 at 3:50 PM EST
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Model number is XXXXX
Ok, thank you. Looking this up for you now. Please stand by.

Ok after looking this up I see that the heating element is actually the back of the units drum. When you see the sparks and red glow exactly where are you seeing this?

Is it coming from the back of the unit or from inside of the unit?

From where are you refrenceing the right hand side of the unit? Standing in front of it?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the sparks are coming from the inside at the back of the unit. the sparks are coming from the upper right hand side in the back as I am standing in front of the dryer looking in

Ok that will be the heating element then. To repair this the drum will need to be removed from the unit. This is a major repair and will require a good mechanical apptitude to do.

PLEASE CLICK HERE for parts ordering information. It is part #F15 in the list. While you are doing the element repair I suggest that you also change out the drum carrier bearing. It is the parts group at the upper left of the diagram.

Please let me know if you require further information, or assistance.

If not, please click on accept.

Thank you.