How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 10 year old GE spacemaker XL microwave oven mounted

Resolved Question:

We have a 10 year old GE spacemaker XL microwave oven mounted over the range. Twice in the past couple of days while we were cooking in the microwave it completely shut off as if the power had been removed. We checked the plug connection and the circuit breakers and did not find a problem. After about 30 minutes power came back on in the microwave. The inside top section of the oven did feel pretty hot. The same thing happened a second time. After the second time, the power came back on and the oven ran as if it was cooking but nothing actually was cooking. Time for a repair or a new oven?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

the high voltage transformer is overheating, this could be bad or the cooling fan isn't comming on,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
its not recommended that you work on the high voltage side of these however, please read this,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.




Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven



thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like the fan is comming on. But like I said nothing cooks and the unit does not get hot like it was. So if the transformer is shot is this an expensive repair--is it time to just get a new microwave. Also could the problem be the magnatron?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes this is most likely the transformer and it is expensive to repair, there is a possibility that both the transformer and magnetron are bad, the magnetron however will not shut the microwave down it just wont heat, your problem is bigger than just that. your probably looking at a new microwave cheaper. the transformer alone is $130.00 plus labor and what ever else could be bad,
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions