Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Gold GGQ8858EQ0 gas dryer and the timer

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold GGQ8858EQ0 gas dryer and the timer isn't working. It won't shut off and I would like to fix it but I don't know where to start and I need someone who can walk me through the diagnosis and the repair.
Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

are you using timed dry or automatic?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Timed or automatic, it doesn't matter. It will run for days if we let it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you need to replace the timer in this,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GGQ8858EQ0-%3d%3dei548369&PartID=548369 if you have any more questions I'll be back after lunch, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it be anything else or are you sure this will fix it? It's an expensive part if it won't fix it for sure.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do... but I'm not clear on how to use it. If you walk me through it I'm sure we can use it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok put it on volts and put one probe on each of the terminals the two black wires from the motor on the timer go. you will see them if you should get 120 volts. let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try it - I may not be able to do it until this weekend though.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's a picture of the meter - can you tell me what to set the dial to?

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
put it on ac volts 500.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put a probe on the black wire terminal, in the upper left hand side of the picture below, and I put the other one on the other black terminal in the upper right hand side of the picture. I didn't get a reading.

Then I kept one of the probes on the left terminal and moved the other probe to the green ground. Then I got a reading of +12 which I assume is 120 volts. I moved the probe to the right terminal while keeping the other probe on the green ground and again got a reading of +12.

The dryer was running when I did my test. What does this mean?

Register Here

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

good picture thanks , this means the timer contacts inside he timer are bad, you will need to replace the timer, you should get 120 volts. did you have the dryer running? it has to be running to get the reading.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dryer was running. I put one probe on the black wire terminal at 10 O'Clock and the black wire terminal at 2 O'Clock and did not get a reading. So to confirm, that means the timer is bad, correct?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes , you should be getting 120 volts , the timer is bad, I gave you a link above to order it, good job,most people cant test that, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, I need a bit more help. I bought a timer on ebay and the contacts don't line up the same. I don't know if I got the wrong part of not because aside from a few contacts - the part looks identical to my original. The part number on the box is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the number on the part is(NNN) NNN-NNNNquot;B". The number on the part you sent me the link to is(NNN) NNN-NNNNquot;A". The ebay seller of the part is not returning my emails. Do I have the wrong part or do I need to modify the connection?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
which contacts are different?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Later this morning I will take pictures of each of them and show you. I may just be missing something simple. I just expected them to be plug and play.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think i found the problem. The part number on the link you sent me is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand my part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Simular, but not the same.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, if you order the new one it should be fine, they should exchange it for you, sorry, thanks Bryan