S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

Hello, Our maytag top loading Nosav clothes washer (Legacy

Our maytag top loading Nosav clothes washer (Legacy series) keeps washing from start to finish (without rinsing or spinning out the soapy water) in regular cycle. But if we lift the lid just before the rinse cycle it will spin out and fill up and rinse till the end without spinning out the rinse water, unless we again lift the lid just after the rinse cycle! In which case it will spin out the rinse water and end properly. What is causing this? Is it an electrical switch problem?

Thank you!
Bob Meyerson
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

this is caused by a bad timer. the contacts are not breaking when they are supposed to. when you lift the lid, the power is cut to the timer and the contacts then switch and it will then work when the lid is closed.

S.E.Thomas :

i would need your complete model number to give you the part number

Customer :

Can you please tell me how I can replace the timer?

Customer :

Can I give you the serial number?

S.E.Thomas :

i need your model number to see what unit this is

S.E.Thomas :

no, must be the model number

S.E.Thomas :

should be on the top of the backguard or on the rear of the machine

Customer :

It's a NOSAVS 151De ww or something like that

S.E.Thomas :

are you in the united states?

S.E.Thomas :

i need the exact model number

Customer :

Yes, it was made in Iowa. It's a Maytag legacy series 120 volt 80HZ

S.E.Thomas :

ok but i still need the model number please

Customer :

okay, please wait

Customer :

The model number is: NOSAV515DEWW

S.E.Thomas :

i think you are including the no from th word model number. the model no. would be sav515deww. give me one min

Customer :

probably, sorry.

S.E.Thomas :

to replace the timer just remove the rear cover of the control panel and the screw holding it in place. it will then slide to the side to remove. you will also need to remove the center cap of the knob and then the rest of the knob.

S.E.Thomas :

the part number is XXXXX and cost $71.33. you can find this at www.appliancepartspros.com

Customer :

Is it easy to remove the center cap and the rest of the knob?

S.E.Thomas :

this is a common problem with these models

S.E.Thomas :

yes. just pull the top of the cap off, remove the white center and then slide the knob off

S.E.Thomas :

the silver piece pulls off first

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | Control Panel replacement parts for Maytag SAV515DEWW Washer - Top Loading
Full Size Image

Customer :

Where is the silver piece located?

S.E.Thomas :

the large silver thing that you turn

S.E.Thomas :

it is numer 3 in the picture

S.E.Thomas :

sorry, number

Customer :

Is that number 3 in the picture?

S.E.Thomas :

yes

Customer :

Is there any lubricant needed or any special tools?

S.E.Thomas :

no not at all. just a 1/4 inch socket and a Philips screw driver

Customer :

What do you think. the machine is about 5 years old and other wise works fine. Is it better to fix it or buy a new washer?

S.E.Thomas :

that is always up to the customer. one thing i will tell you is these are also known for bad center bearings. the first sign of them going is the machine will start to get louder in the spin cycle. once it goes bad you will be looking to replace the machine as the parts alone are over $300 and special tools are needed.

Customer :

Okay. Thank you very much. I'd give you a bonus but I'm currently unemployed! Thus I'm trying to fix everything myself.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance