Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Why does my Kenmore Refrigerator stop working intermittently.

Customer Question

Why does my Kenmore Refrigerator stop working intermittently. The light continues to work but the cooling unit stops and everything melts. I can get it to go back on by turning the thermostat all the way to off and then turning it back on again. This has been going on for awhile now and I notice that it is happening more frequently. Can this problem be repaired, or do I need a new refrigerator? How much might it cost to repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.

When you do turn it off how long do you leave it off?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I turn the thermostat dial all the way to zero and then right back on again and I can hear it turn back on.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
The compressor does not hum and click when you do that?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The sound that I hear sounds like a normal running refrigerator to me. I haven't noticed any unusual noise.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Let me start over please

Cut the power to your unit and then put the power back on, you hear nothing? No hum no click?
Its important. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I turn the dial off and when I spin it back on and it reaches temperature there is a little click and then the hum of the refrigerator coming on.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Not the sound,

In the freezer could you please remove the panel number 15 in the drawing. Remove the screws where the red arrow is drawn and press down where the green arrow is drawn after that. Then the panel will come out.

Behind that panel is the coils. Please could you describe to me how much of that coil is white?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry I do not know what you mean by panel number 15 and I do not see a drawing.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
I do not know why its not there. For some reason the picture uploads are not coming........

Try this link,,,,,,,,it is number 17 Remove the lower 4 screws and press just above the top angle and it will come out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is this something in the front or the back/
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
This is the panel in the lower inside rear section of the freezer. Remove that one.

Take out the screws and press on the top of the angle just under the light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the bottom 1/3 are white. The door has been open for about 15 mins while we worked on it, if that makes a difference.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
It does. Please leave it closed for around 15 minutes and then reopen it to take a look.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is white frost all the way to the top.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Thats great. That means its not the compressor or a freon leak. Replacing the thermostat should take care of the problem, There is one you can purchase online HERE

Thats all you need. Take care.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the thermostat located? Can I replace it myself?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Of course you can it is number 9 in the drawing. Just remove the top panels, and a couple of screws in the fridge section like it shows in the drawing and you are right there. It is not difficult.

Barry

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Edited by Barry G on 10/2/2010 at 11:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i contact you later if I have any problems installing the thermostat or would I need to pay again?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Just leave the thread open and you can come back to reply at anytime. Even years later.

Do not close it, you can accept and leave it open.

Barry

Edited by Barry G on 10/3/2010 at 12:11 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Barry,

Behind the vegitable crispers there is a white pastic peice which appears to supply water to the front doors... its got a leak and I'd like to find a replacement and instruction to install it... any ideas what this is or where to turn?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
There should be a kit. Now this may be one of those things I have to make a phone call for but let me look and see. If I do have to call it will be tomorrow because that is when they are open. I will let you know soon.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Got it. It is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the instructions come with it. Its easy to replace. They have it online HERE.

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Barry.. you are a GIANT! Thanks... I know I kind of 'back doored' this reuest.. .is there some way you can get compensated? - Tim Heller
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tim,

Happy Thanksgiving.

Register Here

Barry