Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

My two year old LG 23 cubic double door, single freezer drawer

Customer Question

My two year old LG 23 cubic double door, single freezer drawer refrigerator, has been going off and then on again, sometimes for 24 hours off, for a few months. When it is off, the lights inside are still on. When it is off, I can still hear a faint "heartbeat" sound coming from the back, as if it is trying to restart.
When I unplug the cord, of course the heartbeat sound stops. It seems that after it remains unplugged for a few hours, and then I plug it in, first the heartbeat sound resumes, and then after a minute or so it does start up again and its cooling and freezing resumes for as long as a few days. Does this give any clue as to what is going on and what is wrong and/ or needs fixing/ adjustment?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.
If you are experiencing delays.Please check that any open or past Accept files have been processed.This will secure a more rapid answer response.The sound you are hearing is the compressor (black tank In back) trying to start...Check to see if the compressor is not hot to the touch...The reason it will run after unplugging for awhile is because the compressor is cold to start with...There is also a fan next to the compressor ..It should be running...From what you are explaining you have either a bad compressor fan or sealed system problem(coil leak...Compressor Etc.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I could not hit the accept key. The problem turned out to be in a faulty connection in the door, which sent an improper signal that the door was open, apparently, and shut things down. An electrician friend came over and figured this out. The compressor, etc. was/ is okay.

I hope, on another occasion, that this can work out and that I can work with you. Thanks for the attempt.

Ive been working on LG units for over 6 years...Opening the door will not shut things down...Thanks Bob