Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Good Morning. Do you have illustrated instructions for installin

Customer Question

Good Morning. Do you have illustrated instructions for installing transit bolts to my Whirlpool Duet washer (three years old or less)? i have the Whirlpool shipping bolts but no idea where, how to install them. thanks for your help. Lynn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi Click HERE for a service manual for this machine. It has instructions on page 2-4 on how to take the bolts out. All you need to is follow the directions in reverse order. Please give the manual a few minutes to download since it is a large file.

The procedure is as follows:
1. On the back of the washer, remove the 4 plastic covers over the oblong shipping bolt holes. Carefully pack these covers with the water and drain hoses as they will be needed when the washer is re-installed in its new location.
2. Using the flashlight as a visual aid, look inside the oblong holes and identify the area on the washer suspension into which the shipping bolts screw. It is a white plastic part that is not directly behind the shipping bolt holes, but is slightly above that level.
3.Look at the shipping bolts. The bolts described above (Part number 285955) have a plastic arm at one end . This arm must be sawed-off for installation on older machines. You will have to determine whether or not the arm needs to be removed.
4. Starting with the bottom two holes, carefully slide a shipping bolt through the hole toward the front of the machine. Angle the bolt upward toward the screw mating hole, and carefully guide the bolt into the hole. Use the 13 mm wrench to engage the bolt into the mating hole.
5. Make sure that the plastic end of the bolt is closely seated against the back of the washer cabinet. Using the 13 mm wrench, screw in the lower two bolts, but do not tighten at this time.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the upper two shipping bolts.
7. After the plastic part of all 4 bolts has been firmly seated against the back of the washer cabinet, carefully tighten all 4 bolts.
8. Go to the front of the washer and push on the drum. The drum will rotate but it should not rock. If that is the case, then you are done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already have this exact answer off the web. I was looking for an illustrated answer that i found a couple of months ago, didn't print, and can't find now. thought you might be able to help with this. Thanks anyway. Let me know if you come up with something illustrated. Lynn
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You didn't have the manual, there are no alliterated pictures or guides that i can find. This is a real easy job and you should be able to do it from the service manual provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got that, too... no photos of the back. Thanks anyway. I'll keep trying to find that illustrated doc.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
ok