Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

LG Dryer Model #DLE8377NM - LCD screen would not come on for

LG Dryer Model #DLE8377NM - LCD screen would not come on for two weeks, but we could still select a cycle and dry the clothes. Today, only the interior light comes on. Essentially the dryer will not turn on / power-up. The on/off button does not light, the LCD does not light and the cycle selector does not light.

I'm relatively handy at mechanics and electronics repair, so I'm comfortable replacing parts. But I have no idea how to diagnose the exact "bad" part in this case. Can you suggest how to find the bad part using a multimeter, cause/effect, etc? I can order the part and replace it myself.

Ok you sound like you have a good mechanical sense so to speed it up for you i'am sending you the service manual just click on this link.

http://136.166.4.200/contents/Laundry/DLE8377/DLE8377_Service_Manual.pdf

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that the dryer won't "power-up" at all though, what do you suspect is the problem that I should check using the service manual? Thanks, Tim.

I would start checking if the board is getting power.From what you have said it sounds like the control board is the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tom, I think we're on the right track, and believe it's a bad control module. However:

1) I cannot read all of the last two pages of the PDF with the parts list. I get an error from Adobe Reader saying "the encoding cmap specified by a font is missing." A quick interent search reveals that the creator (not you) did not embed the font used in the parts list section. It displays only dots.

2) I did see the top of the part list however and noticed it does not include the DLE8377NM model.

Perhaps you have another manual you can send?

Thanks, Tim

That is the only manual i have but you can get the parts list at www.repairclinic.com just put in the model#

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
None the less, the service manual and your advice pointed me in the right direction. I've determined the control board is bad since power was getting to it. Won't know for sure until the replacement part arrives. Accepting the answer, thank you.
Thank you .You are welcome.