Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an older 12 year KitchenAid KAWS700G00 3 speed heavy

Customer Question

I have an older 12 year KitchenAid KAWS700G00 3 speed heavy duty washer, no rust issues, motor and bottom components look very clean, no moisture. Machine always worked well.
All functions work except now it will not spin. The motor engages and makes lots of noise but no spining of drum. Is this a clutch lock up? Is there a way to free up or fix? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Try running it through another cycle and tell me if it's still agitating. (I know probably think it is but this could have broken and is very likely that it did, so can you start a cycle to make certain).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The machine fills and agitates, but then it will not spin, but the motor makes alot of noise at this stage.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok well that could be a clutch or a transmission. The fact that it's making a lot of noise indicates that the transmission itself needs to be replaced because if the clutch was bad, it would sound like normal, the pads would just be slipping and the tub wouldn't turn. Unfortunately it sounds like you need to order and replace the transmission to fix the problem and it requires specialty tools to remove so you'd need to have a technician replace the part for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

As I originally asked "Is this a clutch lock up? Is there a way to free up or fix? " Your second suggestion which came after ignoriing my description actually agreed, in part, with my orginal view, except you thought it was the transmission and then offered no advice on how to fix it myself. In the end... It turns out it is the clutch.

I will NOT be paying for the advice provided.