Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

good morning. I have a maytag model MTB2156GE* the compressor

Customer Question

good morning. I have a maytag model MTB2156GE*

the compressor doesn't seem to be kicking on and the fan also doesn't seem to be working. However the refrig stayed cool for a long time (a day or 2 before we noticed it) and the freeze was cold but not very cold -

I opened the back and vacumed everything - I'm now defrosting the freezer - ice seems to have built up behide the back panel of the freezer.

does this have any chance of working and what should I do now???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
You are doing exactly what you should. If you are using a blow dryer be careful as the plastic parts melt at a very low temperature.

Once you get in there take a look at the coils. If you have not defrosted those you will need to remove that rear panel and defrost those as well. Attached to the coils is a heater. It looks like a glass tube . Look at it close. You will be looking for it to be broken. It is number 9 in the image below. Check the wire it could be loose or filled with ice in one of the connectors that has pushed the wire out of the connector. If you have an ohm meter set it to any ohm setting and see if you can read through the element. Get a reading,,any reading its good. No reading its bad. The part number if it is bad is 61002046 and one place to purchase online can be found HERE....

If you find this not to be the problem do not click "accept" let me know and we will continue.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Edited by Barry G on 10/1/2010 at 4:15 PM EST