Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Water was backing up into my Whirlpool Model #DU800WDG5 dishwasher.

Water was backing up into my Whirlpool Model #DU800WDG5 dishwasher. My wife brought it to my attention yesterday when she was about to put dishes into it. We were able to syphion out the water and run a rimse cycle which appeared to drain properly. She stacked dishes in it for the days usem but did not operate because she likes to wait until it is full. When I got up this morning the water was on the floor and the rug in front of the sink and dishwasher was soaked. We can't understand how but it appears tha it must be coming through the drain and the float that's supposed to prevent an over flow is not working. What would you recommend.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, could you look under the sink and tell me if the drain hose is at some point higher that the place where it connects to your sink drain.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked to see if the drain hose was was higher at any point than where it connects to the sink drain and it does not. In our particular case it goes into the garbage disposal unit.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Ok do this as a test, leave the hose alone. Make sure the dishwasher is dry, pump it out if you have to. Stop up the sink on the disposal side and fill it with water. Open the dishwasher door so you can watch and pull the stopper. What happens?

Barry

Edited by Barry G on 10/1/2010 at 12:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did as you suggested. I watched carefully and over a 12 minute period the portion of that grill work where the draining takes place, which is roughly 5 in. x5 in. and 1/2 in.deep filled with water. Does that tell you anything?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Give me a couple of minutes to finish going over the drawings just to be sure. I will not be too long.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
The float is for fresh water only it controls the depth of incoming water during the wash and rinse cycle. It presses and releases a switch which opens and closes the inlet valve as needed.
All you need do is raise your drain hose to stop the back flow from the sink. Since there is not a check valve to stop water from the sink it must have been higher after installation and fell at some point in time. In any case it should be raised.

If you find I am incorrect in the future the only other source of water is the inlet valve which is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwill need to be replaced. One or the other is going to stop the water. One place online that has that part is HERE.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.