Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

How do I seperate the stainless tub from the plastic tub enclosure

Customer Question

How do I seperate the stainless tub from the plastic tub enclosure on a Kenmore "FLM":
model # XXXXX Ser.# XXXXX and remove inner and outer bearings and seals
Thanks CJ
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
You have the front and rear shell separated and the drive pulley off? You can't just replace the bearing and seals. You must order the rear tub shell.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes the inner and outer shell are apart with the pully removed, the inner SS tub and shaft will not release from the bearings in the rear half of the plastic housing, I have tried penitating oil, but. connot seperate!

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.

The only thing I can tell you to do (Because I've had to do it) is use a torch and heat the heck out of the bearings. Then place the front tub shell on the ground, the basket and rear rub on top and pound the heck out of the shaft downward. Use a piece of hard wood so you don't damage the shaft and a very heavy hammer. The shaft is seized. Since it's obviously seized up, it'll take heat and elbow grease. Once you get it done, sand the shaft smooth before you attempt to fix it. Once again, you'll need that rear shell. It comes with the bearings and seal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You can't apply heat with a torch to a "plastic" tub, I will burn up in the process! are you serious?
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.

The tub is trashed. You have to replace the rear shell of the outer tub. This is the part you will need to order to repair it. The bearings are not sold as a separate part. That's what I'm trying to tell you. The front tub shell is ok, but the rear tub is junk at this point.

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
Before we go further, I hope you weren't planning on just replacing the bearings and seal? If so, I can't help you as this is not the correct procedure to repair this issue. Let me know what you plan to do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The bearings are available, the ones that come with a new rear tub are junk "made in China" bearings that failed in the first place, that is why I want to replace them with new "Made in America" Bearings! Part #s 6306-2RS and 6307- 2RS There has to be away to get the tubs apart, Your the Expert! How?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why would I want to do more, the Plastic tub is not damaged in any way, what would the "correct procedure" be ?
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I'm not willing to go any further with you. This repair is feasible, but I am afraid I don't advise it due to the failure rate I see when customers attempt it. Best of luck to you. Maybe another expert can help you. If the basket won't come out, you'll most likely destroy your tub anyway. If you do get it out, you'll probably end up with a leak and will have wished you just replaced the tub as I suggested. Good luck. Yes, I am the expert. Have a nice night.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is that it? are you telling that do not have an "Answer" Just that do do not recomend what I have in mind! What about your satisfaction "Guarantee"?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are you not going to respond? what is your recomendation? how do I repair this washer,

Buy a new rear tub and replace the chinese bearing with American bearings. That still doesnt answer the " Question" ?