S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My Maytag gas oven Model CRG7400CAW will not light. Sugges

Customer Question

My Maytag gas oven Model CRG7400CAW will not light. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

you have a bad oven igniter. this is a very common problem. to replace, remove the oven bottom and remove the 2 5/16 screws holding the igniter. first put a drop of dish liquid on the threads of the screws as they will not come out if you do not. the part can be found at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price. the part number is XXXXX

S.E.Thomas :

cost is $39.95 plus shipping

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX taken the bottom of the oven out as instructed and note there are two screws in the horizontal plane and two in the vertical plane; I am not sure which to undo?

S.E.Thomas :

not sure where you mean? there are just 2 screws in the side of the igniter. they are right at the rear of the burner.

Customer :

Perhaps question needs to be clarified with the note that the screws identified are at the igniter location.

S.E.Thomas :

here is a pic of the unit. the igniter only has 2 screws in the side of it.

Customer :

Ok I think I understand I will try to undo them.

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | Gas Controls (crg7400aa*) replacement parts for Maytag CRG7400AAW Range - F/s Std Gas
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

make SURE to use the dish liquid

S.E.Thomas :

then just feed the wires out till you get the plug and unplug.

Customer :

OK stay with the rookie; I have unscrewed the igniter and two wires are attached to it. When you say unplug it could you describe where the plug is? The igniter unit has these two wires and as I feed them toward me in the oven there is a green connection behind the back of the oven that appears to be too large to come through to the oven. Is the plug actually part of the igniter?

S.E.Thomas :

that green plug will fit through the hole. it just fits but it will come out for you to unplug it

S.E.Thomas :

one side of it is with the igniter and the other stays with the oven

S.E.Thomas :

make sure that when you install the new one that the plug is pushed back through the hole as it can melt if left in the oven side

Customer :

Victory! I have unplugged the igniter. One final question. You very helpfully identified on on line site to buy a new igniter, however, are these parts readily available at an appliance store at the about the same price you mentioned? My wife needs to bake tomorrow and I would like to be the hero repair guy tomorrow am...

S.E.Thomas :

at my store this same part is $76.99. so you will pay more but it is available at any appliance store that does repairs. chain stores like sears, lowes, etc do not carry parts

Customer :

Thanks you have been very helpful.

S.E.Thomas :

your very welcome and thank you

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance