Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

i have a kenmore 116 vacuum cleaner. it stopped working and

Customer Question

i have a kenmore 116 vacuum cleaner. it stopped working and found the motor was still working and tested the handle switch which was found to be in good working order. i ordered and installed a new relay but still no luck. power is delivered through a white wire directly to the motor and a blue and red wire which connects to another blue and red wire that goes to the other side of the vacuum is spliced and then comes back to the relay. It seems to me that i am getting no power in that spliced wire but even if i put the powered wire directly to the relay at that wire's entrance spot i get nothing. on the relay the "com" has the blue and red wire that has the splice the next terminal has a jumper of blue and red then the last terminal on that side that is labeled "on" has the black wire to the motor with a jumper to the bag signal. on the opposite side of the relay at the single terminal is the yellow wire.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator here at Just Answer and will try to help you get an answer as you have been waiting for awhile. The response rate on Just Answer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions do go un-answered. Some of the common reasons found on some questions are:

1. The question is unclear.

2. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.

3. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online.

4. And sometimes, there just may not be an Expert available who feels they have the proper experience to reply.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The question I have at this point is, are vacuum cleaners something you do not have an expert for?
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, there are several Experts who repair and service vacuum cleaners on the site. I'm not sure why nobody has replied to your particular question. I've emailed a couple of Experts who may be able to assist or at least let me know why nobody has replied. I'll let you know what I find out if someone doesn't reply.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Larry and here to try to help you with your problem today so please say on line ,, it may be only a few minutes before i can help

please resend the model number and leave a space between the third and forth number / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks larry sorry i went out to home depot but the number is XXXXX 266 12200
your having problem in the power supply body and that bad part it thats its no longer available ,, you can carry it into a local small appliance repair shop and they may have one from a different model or make that they can inter-change ,, sorry for bad news but this is the only option of fixing it correctly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
don't know if you got my other reply but before i accept the answer where is the power supply body and what does it look like
its inside the body of the canister

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
i will be offline the rest of the day to take my insulin and rest up so if you need me i will be back online in the morning ,, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry to be a pain but i can get power from the wires coming off of the canister, hook them up to the motor and make the motor run...what i can do it get the whole switching mechanism to work utilizing the relay
try by-passing the splices