Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

(Approx 6 year old) Maytag Performa Washer PAVT444AWW, continual

Customer Question

(Approx 6 year old) Maytag Performa Washer PAVT444AWW, continual un-balanced load problem in the last 2 years. Floors are level. Self-leveling (rear) legs work fine. Tub anchor springs are intact (all 4 it appears).

Local tech can only recommend spring/self-leveling leg replacement (but fears that will only temporarily fix the problem) or washer replacement.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Larry and here to try to help you with your problem today so please say on line ,, it may be only a few minutes before i can help

replace the snubber, part number 21002026 and cost under $10 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,, it sets on the base and the washer support sets on it and its to keep it from dancing and moving all over the floor ,, its number 29 in this picture ,, Glad i could help you with your problem today so please hit the accept button for me before you leave so i may be paid ,, Thanks

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
i will be off line for rest of the day to take my insulin and rest up so if you need more information please ask now or please hit the accept button for me or i will be back in the morning / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Larry,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I had seen references to the snubber in some other forums.

How much skill is required to replace this part and are any specialized tools required?

I am mildly to moderately skilled mechanically and I do have more tools than most homeowners.

Or would you recommend only allowing a technician to replace this part?

its something you cant do ,, you will need to call in a servicer to come in and swap it out ,, the unit is spring loaded and take a special tool to remove it and unless you want to pay about $175 for the tool it will be cheaper to pay a tech a trip charge, i carry one of the tools and use it all the time ,, if you try to take it apart without the tool the spring can fly loose and its so strong it could even kill you ,, if it wasn't for the tension sprig would so do it yourself but without the tool i say no
before i go off line is there anything else i can do for you today before I go
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more question, Larry.

What would you expect (approx) total cost of the repair to be including the part cost for the snubber?

And what % of certainty are you that the snubber will fix the issue long-term?

I plan to accept your answer, btw. Thanks very much.

i charge $100 for parts and labor but some may charge more or even less ,, check with some of the smaller appliance service dealers and find the cheapest and i am 98% sure it will fix it and i never say 100% because any thing can go wrong
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks sir. I do appreciate your assistance. God bless you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Larry (follow up),

Merry Christmas to you and your family sir.

Quoted shop prices for the repair were indeed between $120/140 parts and labor.

With your help, I purchased both the snubber and a new set of springs (6) for around $20 and did the job myself. Since I was going to have to release the springs anyway I thought I might as well replace them.

I gave myself an entire day to do it and went slowly. It probably took a total of around 4 hours.

It's now almost 90 days and still running fine. Thanks for your accurate diagnosis.

i have been gone for about 2 weeks and now back and glad you got it going your way ,,, have a great christmas