Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

i have the sub zero 685. the arm in the ice machine in the

Customer Question

i have the sub zero 685. the arm in the ice machine in the freezer is stuck and locked in the "off" position. i can't pull the arm down to turn the ice machine back on. what can i do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Could you take a look at the ice maker and tell me what position the fingers are in? The fingers are the white rotating part that scoops the ice out of the ice maker and dumps it in the bin.

Also pop off the square white cover on the ice maker (similar to the picture above).
Tell me if the plate under that cover is metal or is it brown plastic looking material.

Edited by Barry G on 10/1/2010 at 12:46 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the fingers were standing up. i was able to push them down into the tray and that brought the arm back down. i can't just pop off the ice maker cover as in the picture above. i would have to unscrew a few phillips head screws and then remove. do you think i have fixed the problem by pushing the fingers down into the tray? would like to avoid having to unscrew and remove the panel if i don't have to.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
I doubt it but we can wait and see if you would like.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'd like to fix it. so, what do you suggest? remove the panel? my only concern was the picture of the panel you sent looked nothing like what my sub zero 685 ice machine front looks like. i can take a screw driver to it and remove if that is the next best step. Also, the ice machine began making a water trickeling noise when i pushed the fingers down which i haven't heard in a few days. let me know how to proceed. Thanks. would like to fix tonight.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
There is not a need to disassemble the ice maker. I now know its mechanical and not a board under the cover.

I would wait a little bit to see if it took off and started to make some ice, there is a chance it could have been stuck. If it does not you are going to need an ice maker. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand can be found online HERE.