John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I ordered the evaporator fan like you recommended and it is

Customer Question

I ordered the evaporator fan like you recommended and it is installed and I still have no cooling in the fridge. You told me you checked the model number and that a new fan would fix the issue. It did not. Any ideas or can you tell me how to get my faithful deposit returned to me, as I feel I am not satisfied with the results.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
When we were talking about the problem it wasn't the evaporator fan motor we were talking about it was the condenser fan motor so why did you replace the evaporator fan motor if it was going you never mentioned the evaporator fan motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is only one fan in the back of the fridge, on the bottom, to the left side of the compressor, like I metioned before. The word condensor fan was never mentioned, at least I don't see it in the notes. It was not clear that there were two fans? Any ideas?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/414pe-model-pbb1951grw-serial-xxxxxxxxxx-my-maytag-upright

Here is what we talked about I mentioned about using a house fan to cool the coils and the compressor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I did that, for everyday continously since we talked, using a house fan. The compressor--black round cylinder like thing with copper lines runnning to it--was only warm to start with, never hot. It did not change the cooling effort at all in the fridge and the freezer compartment is still working.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The number 15 is the damper control its suppose to open up the damper number 15 if your not getting cool air to the fridge the damper door could be frosted up stopping the air flow to the fridge section. check that please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am feeling a small amount of cold air now coming out of the # XXXXX as you mentioned. Should it be blowing out or just drifting the cool air. The rotator spindle # XXXXX is free and seems to go the full gamet with the nylon plastic strap as I follow it along.Cool air coming. The compressor is running, warm and the evaporator fan is also.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Some times that damper door can be frosted up if the fridge setting is set at the highest number set it to the lowest and feel the air coming into the fridge see if you notice a difference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK now the unit is not running as far as the compressor and evap. fan. The light is still on but no air at all. This seems to go on and off, the compressor and evap fan, at infrequent intervals. Nothing now.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I would wait a bit it could be in the defrost cycle , if it is it should kick back in 1/2 hr.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will, and let you know. thanks
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok we can talk later thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the system kicked back on. I am getting 55-58 degrees F cool air from the # XXXXX door. It does not close all of the way as I rotate the #14 rotating knob. When I close the door the temp seems to rise a degree or two. I am using a dial/needle type thermometer and it is inside of the #15 door. Should I see a bettter temp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now the temp is over 60 degrees and I have replaced the "house fan" without any noted changes. I am afraid I have to go off line and will get back to you when I can. My answer is still ongoing, OK? Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok I am signing off for the night we can continue tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello expert, I am back and have had the fridge plugged in all night and the temp is 60 degrees. I did notice some moisture in the drip pan below the fan in the left side of the fridge's back. Otherwards no change since last night. Any ideas?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If your getting moisture under the coils then the complete coil isn't getting cold , you have to remove that freezer panel to make sure that the complete freezer coil is cold otherwise the fridge wont get to the proper temp.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The moisture is not under the coils only in the drip pan under the fan.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Well thats under the coils so check the freezer coils for the frost pattern the complete coil should have a thin layer of frost and cold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, no frost, not dirt, and there isn't but a dab of moisture in the pan since last night. The coils are dry and normal to touch, neither hot or cold or cool. The fan keeps going and the compressor is barely warm to touch along, with the nearest two copper tubes next to it. The next two or three copper tubes are cool to touch.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If thats what you found you definely have a failed compressor, the coils should be cold , the complete coil should be cold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I originally accepted the answer on another request on order #6771218-493 on 9/24/10. He mentioned the "fan motor" needed to be replaced. I thought I was happy and I ordered it and replaced it. This took 4days to get the new motor. It did not change anything. I re-entered your site, with a new appointment, trying to find out what I could do. He later said it should have not been the evaporator fan that was replaced.($70.00)Ugh! Next he tells me it is a condenser fan motor. The result is noting now. I would like my deposit of $19.00 returned and possibly the old $28.00 fee also. I have had no real answer as to what my problem is, except new ideas by him. I am sorry I would like out.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If you had of given me the right info and told me the coils were warm with no frost I could have told you the problem in a few minutes, I did get in touch with management about the problem and they will get in touch with you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Your welcome.

Thanks and God Bless.