S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

The broiler element on our Kenmore Elite range model number

Customer Question

The broiler element on our Kenmore Elite range model number 790.46703606 blew apart during use. I obtained a new one and replaced it but the element won't energize when control is set to broil. It does come on when the control is set to bake or any other oven setting. Note, the broiler element comes on continues to heat during all baking etc. settings. This has made the oven portion of my range useless. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

if the broil element will not come on when selected but does come on during bake then the control board has gone bad. this is what controls all of the oven functions. you could test if you wish with a volt meter by removing the backguard. you then trace the wires up from the broil element and test for 240 across the terminals with the broil cycle selected. the part can be found at www.sears.com. the part number is NNN-NN-NNNNand the price is $58.46

Customer :

Are you certain about the control board being only $58. When I checked it was over $300

S.E.Thomas :

Board

Part for KENMORE ELITE, Model # XXXXX

Number:
316418101
Category:
Large Kitchen Appliances

See estimated delivery date

$58.46 In stock

Quantity

S.E.Thomas :

the clock itself is 200

Customer :

Okay, I must have been looking at the entire control panal

S.E.Thomas :

when an element shorts out like that they usually short out the control board and in most ovens that is the clock. in this model you have a control board and the clock.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The clock works fine
yes in most cases it will. thats why you need to change the board. very rarely does it take both of them out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've ordered the part you suggested; I'll let you know how it works out.
ok. will be waiting to hear back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm signing off.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have received the part you recommended and need to know how to gain access to the area where the part is located on my range.
it is in the control panel with the clock.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've disassembled the unit and the my range doesn't contain the part you had me order. The part I received is for another range and controls the lock out of the burners. I believe the part I need is pn XXXXXXXXX
the part number you sent me did not show up as the system thought it was a phone number. i just looked up your model number again and the part number you need isNNN-NN-NNNN i have no idea why the system gave me the number i gave you before and i am very sorry. once in a while this happens and no one can explain why. as long as the part was not installed they will return it. i apologize again. not sure what happened. please make sure this number matches the one you have and let me know before you order it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I've ordered the new pn you prescribed. It is due here on Nov 13th. I'll let you know how it goes.
ok. was that the same part number you had?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
ok just wanted to make sure i had the correct model number
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Received and installed the new control unit today and eveything seems to be working fine. Still working with supplier on return of incorrect part.
great. hope they will work with you on that. explain to them that the part was not connected to the unit and was ordered using the wrong model number.