Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner
Experience:  Thirty years experience in electrical, electronic, and mechanical device repair,
4456095

My refrigerator wont stay cold. Ive cleaned the coils, turned

Customer Question

My refrigerator won't stay cold. I've cleaned the coils, turned off and unplugged, then restarted. Anything else?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
wbwill :

Only accept if I truly helped, I realize 30 years in repair, your problem is critical, no reason to leave bad feedback, it is bad for both.

wbwill :

Hi a fridge that goes out all of a sudden is a nightmare, let me look a minute at your question

wbwill :

I am assuming it quit staying cold pretty fast, would that be a fair statement?

wbwill :

Can you hear the compressor cycling and if so, does it seem to be cycling often?

wbwill :

There is also a fan that should be running pretty much all the time, still hear it? OR confirm it is spinning?

wbwill :

Is the freezer still working correctly?

Customer :

Freezer works perfectly.

wbwill :

Oh good news,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wbwill :

You can rule out compressor

wbwill :

Your fridge gets its cooling from the freezer, so you have a good freezer, and a good compressor, now we have to check the cold control, it may be a problem, or the defrost timer second

wbwill :

Trying to see if there is a fuse on the cooling control board,,,, and if it is user serviceable,

Customer :

There are vent louvers in the freezer, behind the upper tray, in the back. they are plugged with frost/ice.

wbwill :

You found the problem, defrost timer, great job,,,,,,

wbwill :

Here is what you can try, get your hair dryer and get that ice out of there,

wbwill :

It could be the door seal has allowed this to happen, humidity, high in your area lately?

wbwill :

Of door left open and you didn't know? I don't expect you to answer that, but if it was, and built up the louvers, with ice, then maybe the defrost timer is ok, and it was a set of circumstances,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wbwill :

So get that ice off the louvers and anywhere else you see, can you afford much down time on your stuff in the fridge?

wbwill :

much more I meant

Customer :

I turned the freezer way colder to make tons of ice. This was the only real change, but it has been a little unusually humid. I can get the ice off without much downtime. If you can let me try it, I will accept and pay if it works! I'm working frantically to get it done and keep touch with you

wbwill :

Once you get the ice off the louvers, I want to reset the unit again, maybe 4 minutes unplugged from the walll

Customer :

Will save me a very expensive service call!!!!! Can do the reset.....

wbwill :

Hey dont worry about me, just get the ice off, once you are done reset for a few minutes and we can by some time

wbwill :

you come back to me when you are ready, go get that ice I am out of your way for now

wbwill :

I am never worried about being paid, you go do your thing, great job,

wbwill :

Dont worry about this message if you hear it

wbwill :

I am going to write out the scenario and what to do from here,

Customer :

we are melting ice now with hair dryer, fridge is unplugged so will that count as unplug time? shortly the ice will be gone.

wbwill :

absolutely

wbwill :

Here is what could have happened, you raised your freezer for more ice for a gathering, that means opening the doors more often than normal, and the setting is up higher than normal, you have gathering, probably open more again, humidity up, the air condensates and freezes on the louvers, it blocks flow to fridge, once restarted, turn back freezer and put all to normal, leave closed the best you can, check on it once every couple hours, you may not have to do another thing, if it keeps on get back to me, but my guess is you fixed it, circumstances, it happens,,,,,,,,,, I will stay up tonight and I can do some other things, if you need me, I will find you and check back with you before I go to bed, I will stay around for several more more hours, so don't worry, if I don't reply right away, I might be doing some work on a project I have to finish, but I will check on here to make sure you are OK<

Customer :

cool. thanks. just about defrosted.

Customer :

behind the louvers are the aluminum cooling fins. how ice free do they need to be?

Customer :

defrost complete. plugged back in. turned back on.

wbwill :

yea let it go, adjusted freezer back to norm or you still need ice? I will tell you one thing, I bought a GE that does not take the cool from the freezer for this very reason. They are more expensive but have a separate coil for the fridge and it keeps these sharing issues from being a problem, once you are doing a ton of freezing in this design, it can and usually does freeze up, now we are still thinking cooling module, the control device diverts the air to the fridge, it may be bad, I doubt it, with all I know now, but that is next, if the fridge doesn't settle down, but I bet it does, and actually per pound of ice versus electricity wear and tear, it is more economical to purchase large quantities of just ice, than to try and manufacture it, even with a separate design type fridge, the compressor time, all added up, you can't make ice in bulk as cheap as people who make ice in bulk,

Customer :

It appears this may have worked; however, it will take several hours for the unit to cool back down after defrost.

wbwill :

just checking on you,

wbwill :

I don't see any panic comments I bet you are worn thin

Customer :

The problem is gone! The fridge works great! Thanks for the help!

Will, President & Small Business Owner
Experience: Thirty years experience in electrical, electronic, and mechanical device repair,
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Still all OK and everything back in order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Everything is working great! Just need to put all the food back in.
Expert:  Will replied 3 years ago.
Proud to have worked with you, cool under fire, I really appreciated you trust and faith, you did a wonderful job,