Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

I have a Bosch dishwasher and it gets gunky with brown slime

I have a Bosch dishwasher and it gets gunky with brown slime and worse. Why the build up?
Chat Conversation Started
Bernard S. :

Hi y_12,

Bernard S. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Bernard S. :

The most times this problem relates to how hard your water is and how much dishwasher soap that you are using. Do you use "Jet Dry"?

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

Yes I use Jet dry, although it hasn't been coming out. I was doing a major clean and ended up taking off the door panel and saw that where the plunger for administering the rinsing agent was clogged. Cleaned that last night so haven't had the time to see if that works to prevent the gook. Also here in the Seattle area we do not have a hard water issue. We use Cascade dishwasher soap, would you suggest using a lot or a little?

Bernard S. :

HI y-12,

Bernard S. :

The problem is most times the result of too much detergent. If you do not have hard water, you don't need much jet dry either.

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

OK. Have you any idea what all this gunk is?

Bernard S. :

Most times if you try using 1/4 the amount you are using now, you will get a feel for how effective the soap is.

Bernard S. :

If your water is not hard (you can check by puttin out a plate of water and letting in evaporate to see what is left over in the plate), then your "gunk" is part food particles and part soap that accumulates each time you do your dishes.

Bernard S. :

You can also check to be sure that the drain hose is completely clear and obstructed. Sounds like you have already done this though.

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

So less is better and I hope the Jet Dry helps. Any thoughts on the gunk?

Bernard S. :

Use very little soap. Use little Jet Dry (with softer water). Use a dishwasher cleaner (not bleach at first) to clean the inside once a month.

Bernard S. :

Check your water with the "test" to see what is actually in your water. Most water has some particles in it. You may want to see if what is left over after evaporation matches some of the gunk you have been seeing.

Bernard S. :

You can also check the dishwasher by running it without dishes or soap and checking it half way through. If you see soap residual in the water or dishwasher it will further prove that too much soap was used.

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

Thanks for the help. This chat thing is new to me, so if it looks like I was repeating my questions it was because I wasn't scrolling down the side bar.

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

Thanks for the help. I will accept.

JACUSTOMER-yfluuh12- :

Jeffrey

You're welcome and thank you for your "accept".

bernie