Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

Maytag Atlantis Oversize Capacity Plus Washing Machine Model

Maytag Atlantis Oversize Capacity Plus Washing Machine
Model: MAV8600AWW
Serial #: 22210631ZY
There is sometimes a slight rattle during agitation, but there is usually a loud noise (sounds like someone is using a course drill or grinding bit on metal) during spin. These noises just recently started.
What are the likely problems? Is it worth repairing or should I just replace the washer? What is the likely cost for professional repair? Is it something that a nonprofessional could repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Justin :

More than likely, the pump is the culprit. If you can tilt the machine back slightly and prop up the front, remove the belt and turn the pump pulley. It should turn extremely easily in both directions.

Justin :

I'm showing you're offline. I will be on for most of the evening. If you reply to this, I'll try to get back with you.

Customer :

I removed the belt. There a 3 pulleys underneath; they appear to be pump, agitator, and motor. The pump pulley turns easily in both directions. What does this tell me?

Customer :

Customer on line

Customer :

???

Customer :

The water pump moves freely. What does that tell me?

Justin :

ok

Justin :

I answered you already. lol. Let's try again

Justin :

Check the pump pulley to see if you notice a corrugated looking metal piece around it.

Justin :

Also, grab the main large pulley. Turn several turns in each direction to see if the noise is present.

Customer :

Do you want me to open up the machine. From the bottom, all that I can see are the three pulleys. I can not see internally into the machine.

Justin :

Oh, if you can yes. I thought you already had it off. Sorry. Pry the top by placing a putty knife between the top and the front panel. There is a clip on each side of the front panel at the top. You find it with a flash light. Push straigh in and the top will pop on that side. Repeat on the other. Then, you'll need to remove two 5/16" screws to remove the front panel.

Customer :

I have the front panel off. I see the pump. I previously turned the large pulley from underneath and heard no noise. From underneath the machine, I did not see a corrugated piece of metal near the pump pulley.

Justin :

Ok, look on the inside of the cabinet. Do you see any spatter marks near the level of the bottom of the tub?

Customer :

I see no spatter marks.

Justin :

Ok. The usual things which make a drill type noise are either a foreign object in the pump or a failing pump. The other thing is water leak through the tub seal into the spin bearing. I can only advise you to leave the front panel off and run a few loads to help you locate the noise.

Customer :

Okay. I'll lower down the top, prop back the machine, put back on the belt, lower the machine back down, and then run a load.

Justin :

I'm going to have to continue this tomorrow. It's getting late. Run that load, see what you can see and let me know what your experience is.

Customer :

okay.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service