S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

My Whirlpool Duet HT washing machine is making a constant grinding

My Whirlpool Duet HT washing machine is making a constant grinding sound as soon as I push start and it's not dispensing the initial water spray. When I completely remove the long soap/bleach dispenser, the sound is coming from a round peice way in the back on top. How do I fix this? What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

hello. does the tub move when the noise id heard?

S.E.Thomas :

i will also need the complete model number from the rear of the washer.

S.E.Thomas :

also there is no fault code as f30. please double check the fault code as well. i will wait to hear from you.

Customer :

it's definately F 30..... unless it could be F 38 (with the way the led lights are flashing I suppose it could possibly be 38)

Customer :

MODEL IS: WFW9200SQ00

S.E.Thomas :

is the tub moving when the noise is heard?

Customer :

No the tub is not moving when it's heard...... it doesn't even get that far.

Customer :

I push start and the grinding starts.... husband says it sounds like a gear slipping

Customer :

usually you hear a 'whoosh and then the initial water dispenses with a small amount of soap" and then the washing cycle begins... but all that happens is a clicking/grinding sound after I push start... before any of the initial water comes out.

S.E.Thomas :

the noise you are hearing is the dispenser trying to change positions and the dispenser motor gear is stripped.

Customer :

husband just said, "yep, that's what it sounds like"

S.E.Thomas :

give me one min and i will find you the part numbers. i also have a complete breakdown of this machine if you wish to download it as well.

Customer :

so WHAT do I do... can I jimmy it to wash a load of clothes now or what.

Customer :

desperate to wash one load of clothes!

S.E.Thomas :

you can remove the washer top by removeing the screws across the rear of the top. then slide it back and lift it off

Customer :

ok, we're going to do that now, what's the next step, please?

S.E.Thomas :

you will need to manually rotate the arm to the position it needs to be in

Customer :

ok.

S.E.Thomas :

sometimes you can do this to fool the ecu into thinking that it worked. sometimes they are jammed and need to be replaced untill the unit will work.

Customer :

okay, that makes sense... hopefully we can get it to work one more time. (husband had to go grab his plyers. we're still trying to get the lid off.)

S.E.Thomas :

there should be just 3 screws across the rear.

S.E.Thomas :

this is a front load washer correct?

Customer :

yes, he just finished removing the 3 screws... and it's a front loader.

Customer :

He's looking at the arm........ There are roman numerals of I, II, III, IV........ which position do you say we need to be in?

Customer :

Our arm is currently all the way over (to the left -or right- depending on how you're looking at the machine) touching a short white stubby brace thing.

S.E.Thomas :

the book does not show me. you just have move it as it is making the noise till the noise stops and the washer starts filling

Customer :

so move the arm when the washer is on?

S.E.Thomas :

yes

Customer :

I am back at the computer now........... the washer is filling and the water/tub is working properly.......... however........... when we nudged the arm to get back into position, it appears that the plastic bit piece that facilitates the arm movement is worn out or something......... because it bends upward when the arm is moving. AND it's when that piece bends upward the grinding/clicking noise happens.

Customer :

We're definately going to have to replace this part. Is it something that we can replace on our own? Easy enough, I wonder?

S.E.Thomas :

i believe that when you order the new one it will come as a unit. it has been a while since i ordered on this style but you may want to ask just to be sure.

S.E.Thomas :

yes. it is fairly easy to change out. just remove the mounting screws and the fill hoses

Customer :

yep, upon closer examination, it almost looks like that "unit" clips in..... maybe?

S.E.Thomas :

i do believe there is a clip on the left side

S.E.Thomas :

it is so hard to see these pics clearly

Customer :

but the unit you're referring to is the entire soap/bleach dispenser (the big, long white box thing) that is attached to the fill out and the discharge hose

S.E.Thomas :

yes. correct

S.E.Thomas :

i dont think you can get just the arm

Customer :

ok, yeah. makes sense.

Customer :

right, not just the arm that is on the top of that white box.

Customer :

so, before we finish up, how can I find the part number and do I call whirlpool directly?

S.E.Thomas :

one of the best places to order from is www.appliancepartspros.com. they will also give you pictures to be sure of what you are getting.

S.E.Thomas :

i just looked and they do list the parts separately so you can inspect the gear on yours and order only the parts you need

Customer :

i am at that site now... but don't know the name of the part...... some pictures aren't listed next to the parts.

S.E.Thomas :

the arm is most likely listed as a cam

Customer :

actually most of the parts don't have an image available

S.E.Thomas :

i see what you mean. i would call to be sure as to what you are getting. they will know exactly what each one is. some places list things differently

Customer :

I've entered my Model # XXXXX here's the parts page it gave me: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5163972

S.E.Thomas :

let me check with my supplier to see if they show me

Customer :

ok.

S.E.Thomas :

let me send this to you

S.E.Thomas :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE]z-index: 102; visibility: visible;[/STYLE][/IMAGE]

S.E.Thomas :

see if it will let you open that

Customer :

no, i can't..... it's just html code

Customer :

didn't come across as a link

Customer :

S.E.Thomas :

the motor number is XXXXX the arm is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the cam which is the tear drop looking piece is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer :

ok thank you!

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome. you can also check at www.sears.com as they usually have a pic of the parts

Customer :

so until we get the parts, we're leaving the lid off to help the arm along at the beginning of the wash cycle. it worked like a charm and I have the load of laundry in that I needed to get washed.

Customer :

I just tried another parts store online (www.partstore.com) and I found the numbers above... but no pictures.

Customer :

I think we're good. I REALLY appreciate your helping me/us!

S.E.Thomas :

yes that should get you buy. thank you and your welcome

Customer :

thanks again S.E.! Have a good night.

S.E.Thomas :

i just checked at sears and it has the pictures

Customer :

great!

Customer :

Look at this....

S.E.Thomas :

sure thing and thank you!!

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance