S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Kenmore gas range, 362-72422200. _Today while cooking

I have a Kenmore gas range, 362-72422200. _Today while cooking it just stopped. The stove top gas burners work fine. Is it most likely the igniter that quit working? But if that were the case, why would it have started and then gone out?__Jeff
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
S.E.Thomas :

the oven cycles on and off while maintaining temp so it is very possible for the igniter to quit in the middle of cooking.

Customer :

I do not accept this as sufficient answer and refuse to pay for this. I am assuming there is no one else on line to assist.

Customer :

I don't have much more time left.

S.E.Thomas :

you ask if it could happen during the cooking cycle and i explained that it is very possible. if you would like to ask further questions go right ahead. im here

Customer :

I guess you were out when I asked them, so here it is.

What's the best way to determine if it's the igniter, and if it is, it doesn't look very difficult to replace myself. Would you agree?

S.E.Thomas :

the only way to check this is visually. remove the oven bottom and turn the oven on. if the igniter glows but the gas does not come on then it is not reaching proper temp. as far as replacing it, yes it is very simple. remove the 2 screws holding it in and unplug the wires.

S.E.Thomas :

the cheapest place to purchase is most likely www.appliancepartspros.com

S.E.Thomas :

sorry, i did not receive your other questions as i would have answered them all the first time. thanks for your patients.

Customer :

I haven't noticed the igniter glowing at all, there is no heat, but there is also no gas smell. So I'm guessing the igniter doesn't work, and that the gas will not come on unless it does work?

S.E.Thomas :

that is correct. if the igniter does not pull the proper amps then it will not allow the gas valve to open. this is a safety device as well.

Customer :

Sounds like that's the issue, then. Any other probable explanation for the problem?

Customer :

Are you still there?

Customer :

Is is possible a fuse went bad for the igniter switch, and where would I look for that fuse?

S.E.Thomas :

the only other thing that can cause this is a bad thermostat. when you turn the thermostat on can you hear it click?

S.E.Thomas :

you will need to listen closely.

Customer :

No click. It's silent as it always has been.

S.E.Thomas :

all thermostats make a slight click when turned on. if you feel that the thermostat could be your problem and would like to check it, you need a volt meter. do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

Yes, I do.

Customer :

However, since the igniter doesn't light up at all or even glow, based on your feedback that would seem to be the problem. Correct?

S.E.Thomas :

then you can remove the oven igniter and turn the oven on, test for the power to the igniter or you can remove the top to access the thermostat and test across the terminals for continuity. it is usually easier to test for power at the igniter but is your choice.

S.E.Thomas :

if you are not hearing any click from the thermostat i am thinking that may be your problem as they all click when the contacts make contact.

S.E.Thomas :

i would not say one way or the other with out testing.

Customer :

I'll check both of those. Thanks!

S.E.Thomas :

you can also test the igniter for continuity

S.E.Thomas :

the most common issue would be the igniter though.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance