Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

my maytag atlantis washer makes a loud grinding sound when

my maytag atlantis washer makes a loud grinding sound when it starts to agitate it does spin on spin cycle though. i did overload it w/ queen comforter. i tried to remove the front of washer and couldn't figure out how to get it off. any help would be appreciated! katie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You likely have a bad pump or radial bearing assembly. Either is fairly inexpensive and easily replaced. To remove the front panel, you will need to release the clips between the top and front panels, about 2" in from the side. Once released, you will be able to hinge the top back. This will allow access to a 5/16" screw on the rear of the front panel, one on each side. Once removed, the front panel will pull off. A model number will allow me to get you a diagram for your review...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i got the front off but i don't see the model number info
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX top of the timer console on a white sticker....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the only model number is XXXXX the motor s68pxmbp-1054 the timing seems to be in the top because there is a paper inside top that show how to set timing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The model will be on the top of the timer console, on a small white sticker, usually right where the back panel meets the console. Or it may be under the lid. It will look like PAV3305AWW or something...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pmav6257awm
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Number 4 is the pump. Look at the underside of the pump directly above the pulley. Is there a metal sleeve that has come up and is rubbing on the pump body?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no but the oil cap have come off underneath and oil is splattered all over
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
That is not good...if oil is leaking there is a seal bad in the transmission. Is it all over or is it just really thick and on the center pulley?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its all over
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
That's not good. The transmission may be bad. Some of these had a 10 year warranty, can I have the serial number and I can check it for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
21126732zk this washer was here when i purchased my home this year so i don't know how old it is
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Great! Estimated date of purchase 6-26-01, 10 year warranty on transmission. It is still under warranty for parts only, but the labor is your responsibility. This repair I would charge about $129 in labor + the new bearing kit, which runs about $45 or so. You would likely have about $200 in this if you called for warranty servie on the transmission. You could try replacing the pulley kit yourself, but the oil issue will not have been addressed.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!